Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubrication

Hi,

I have been using Nu clear lubricant on our Ridgid electric pipe threader . No problem threading but it leaves a pungent smell on our drinking water that lasts for months and sometimes years. Do you have an oil that can be used for potable drinking water lines( by the way way we use G.I. pipes) that has no bad smell ?

Jose

jose we do not use galvinized pipe in Canada/US for domestic water. All i can say is try not getting the oil in the pipe. Have the threading machine on a slight forward angle (put something under the back leg) if no/very little oil gets in the pipe that should solve your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Fernandez
      Hi,

I have been using Nu clear lubricant on our Ridgid electric pipe threader . No problem threading but it leaves a pungent smell on our drinking water that lasts for months and sometimes years. Do you have an oil that can be used for potable drinking water lines( by the way way we use G.I. pipes) that has no bad smell ?

Jose
      I think I've read your (or someone else's) post on this before.

I would suggest "blowing out" the system. Open every hose-bib, sink, etc. for about two hours.

If you still get that result, clorinate, and choose a different cutting oil. But, I think if you flush for two hours, you will not have a problem (just my opinion).
      the dog

Comment

dog
        don't you think using the plumbing fixtures for "sometimes years" would get the result of flushing the system. but i would agree that clorinateing the system would be a good solution to try.

Comment

sorry i posted it twice

Comment

it's the same issue if you install a piece of gal. steel pipe that was onced used for gas it will give a smell for life if it got reused accdentially in the domestic water system

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER JAY
              dog
              don't you think using the plumbing fixtures for "sometimes years" would get the result of flushing the system. but i would agree that chlorinating the system would be a good solution to try.
              I know you asked the Dog this but thought I'd toss my $0.02 in:

In short, NO, you will not get the same effect. You will not get the full force flow that you would during a flush, so you would not have the scouring action of the water working for you. You would not (due to lower velocity) gain the advantage of turbulent flow which would help to dislodge and crud in the line.

I would do as Dog suggests and do a thorough flush of the system. Start at the point closest to the source and flush there first. Then move down to the next point and repeat. Continue until you have flushed out all lines from each outlet and water runs clear. Then you can do any disinfection as required by local code. But before you can disinfect, you need to get any junk out of the pipe.

A clean piping system begins during installation, and is mainly dependent on the skill and attention to detail exercised by the installer. Someone who doesn't give a rats a** whether they use too much pipe dope or if cutting oil gets inside the pipe or uses too much flux or does not deburr the pipe is not doing his boss or the client any favors in my opinion.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X