X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best toilet un-clogger

About twice a month our toilet clogs due to er, uh, "overloading" , then it's out to the garage to get the "plumber's friend".

The plunger works ok but, depending on the load, can take a fair amount of work to force everything past the trap. I have a plunger with the collar that goes down into the opening a few inches. I'm looking for something more effective.

I've looked around in HD, Lowe's, etc and the only ones I've seen are the one mentioned above, the old fashioned kind with a flat bottom and the one with the accordion bellows.

Are the ones with the bellows any good? They're made of plastic, and I think that in time they'll split at the folds.

There's a new one out that's about 18 long, has the collar, a tee handle and a CO2 cartridge. When you push down on the handle it shoots a blast of CO2 that's supposed to force the clog past the trap. They sell for approx. $30.00. Are they any good? Even if they aren't, they're probably worth the money just for the sound effects and the bubbles and/or the fountain effect.

Anyone have a better solution besides replacing the Mansfield toilet I have with a Toto (are they made in Kansas?)?

TIA,

Al
    Last edited by acemery; 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM. Reason: Post wasn't formatted properly
    America:
    The land of the free
    Because of the brave

al, i'll let mrs seat down answer this one. she has talked lots of people through the proper plunger testing.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Al:
      I use the blue plastic accordion one in my business and it hasn't let me down yet. I've had it for 6years with no cracks. As for the Co2 model my only fear would be the you might find a loose pipe joint one time and have quite a mess to clean up.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
        al, i'll let mrs seat down answer this one. she has talked lots of people through the proper plunger testing.
        <Sigh> I was counting on your expertise, Rick. In addition to being born and raised in L.A. county, I've come to value and respect your wisdom and advice.

What do girls know about toilets anyway, besides how to plug 'em up?

So, what's your opinion, Rick?

Al
        America:
        The land of the free
        Because of the brave

Comment

al, thanks for the compliments

joey was going to answer your question yesterday, but she couldn't stop laughing when your question came up.

after reading your post this morning, she is going to give you the answer this morning from work

hopefully she post the home depot story and the "andrea" one too.

if all else fails, i will give you my thoughts this evening

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Al,

Just like not all plumbers have their crack exposed, not all girls throw "extras" down toilets!

Joey

Comment

doesn't look like the mrs. is going to share her laughter

it goes like this. 1 late night at home depot we were cruising the plumbing isle. there was a guy looking at plungers and joey told him, " you better test that plunger" curious he asked how

joey answered with, you throw the plunger on the ground and if it sticks, it's good

we watched as he finally got 1 to stick after 5 tries. joey laughs everytime we talk about toilet stoppages.

story #2, a friends sister actually did this test at osh. then proceeded to test plunge a toilet at the store and bought the pluger for use at home.

now the answer to your original question. the best plunger i've found is an all rubber ball shape plunger. no flaps or flat bottom. it can be found at osh. sells for approx. $9.00 and has not failed me.

p.s those plastic accordian style are fun to look at, but not fun to clean or use

by the way, the pressure flush toilets at my house have never needed a plunger even with all the paper mrs seat down puts in there

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Acemery,

With my experience, it's better to try to pull the blockage back into the bowl rather than try to push it through. A plunger that will allow for that is best IMHO.

The Toto is notmade in Kansas...but they say it will flush from here to Kansas! I never knew my line went to Kansas...they must have lots of room there.

It's a Japanese product that is manufactured in Georgia for the USA. I have 3 of these in my facility; they all have performed great.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Seat Down
                  Just like not all plumbers have their crack exposed, not all girls throw &quot;extras&quot; down toilets!
                  Some they do, some they don't. Al
                  Last edited by acemery; 08-02-2006, 03:30 PM. Reason: The editor wouldn't let me format or add smilies to the post. Sometimes posting and editing it will enable those functions.
                  America:
                  The land of the free
                  Because of the brave

Comment

...and remember the the most important thing-fiber in your diet.
                    One of the best lessons I learned from my father is when he did nothing to help me. I then learned to help my self.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidTees
                      The Toto is notmade in Kansas...
                      Went right over your head, didn't it Dave?

It's a Japanese product that is manufactured in Georgia for the USA.
                      I knew that too.

Al
                      America:
                      The land of the free
                      Because of the brave

Comment

If my toilet is clogged, I'm calling Plumber Rick.

He'll GET 'ER DONE.
                        the dog

Comment

PS. Don't get mad Rick, it was a joke.
                          the dog

Comment

This forum seems to be degrading. We are down to talking about clearing water closets stoppages and fixing sump pumps.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i've noticed that the forums are a little slow these last few weeks.

mark, feels like you've been on a big project

dog, feels like you got put in the pound the last few weeks

and the rest of the regulars are on summer vacation

so bring on the poop and pumps

or better yet lets play stump the plumber

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X