• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Shower

i am putting a shower in my basement and connecting to 3.0 pipe
    from upstairs toilet do i need any kind of a backup valve so
    toilet will not backup into shower.
    bob m

Your question gives away that you aren't certain how to proceed. The first assumption, the 3" penetrates the basement floor. Your connection must be made below the floor with the proper fittings, proper trap, and proper vent line through the roof (and this really is critical for it to work).

Comment

Midden1..Are you tying the proposed shower into the main soil stack? If so, remember proper pitch to avoid unpleasant plumbing surprises. Is the waste line plastic, copper or cast iron? I usually find DWV to be more critical and challenging than domestic water supply plumbing. Also, being in NY, you are probably aware that large portions of the northeast are permit happy. If you are planning on filing this job, you will probably need to retain a plumber to apply for the necessary permit . In my part of Westchester county, NY, its so bad I sometimes feel you need a permit to do anything but breathe in your own home!
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

out here, southern calif. you need a back water valve on any plumbing fixtures that the overflow level is lower than curb level of the upper manhole so i think.

in your case the basement is lower than the curb. so all fixtures in the basement would qualify.

mark please correct me if i'm off

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
          out here, southern calif. you need a back water valve on any plumbing fixtures that the overflow level is lower than curb level of the upper manhole so i think.

in your case the basement is lower than the curb. so all fixtures in the basement would qualify.

mark please correct me if i'm off

rick.
          Rick,

Basements are not necessarily lower than the curb.
          the dog

Comment

Basement Shower

is the trap you are talking about the drain for the shower and does
            that have a backup valve are thier some better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by MIDDEN1
              is the trap you are talking about the drain for the shower and does
              that have a backup valve are thier some better than others.
              midden, the trap is the "u-turn" waste pipe that all fixtures have connected to the drain outlet. toilets have them cast into the china. the purpose of the trap is to stop sewer gas from entering the house. it does not prevent backup.

it's also been known to catch a ring, contact lens, tooth paste cap

i would suggest that at this point you consult with a local licensed plumbing contractor. it's great to get info and be informed, but a flooded basement with waste is not fun

rick.

p.s is this basement below the level of the curb i'm being "doged"
              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
              X