No announcement yet.

Anyone done electric pipe soldering?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone done electric pipe soldering?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    kasper, i'm also in l.a.

buy mine.

rick.
    got a model # and a price? i would entertain checking it out

Comment

Originally posted by kasperghost View Post
      got a model # and a price? i would entertain checking it out
      Bring lots of cash and ask for Joey, prices will be lower.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

joey hasn't a clue where to find it.

i'll see if i can post a photo and model specs.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Mark7 got it right. I also have the RT-100 GREAT tool to have when needed. Use torch most of the time, like a few tools on the truck not used all the time but darn happy when I have them. The carbon tips do not have to be around the fitting to work as long as both carbon tips are touching it will heat up fine. Huge advantage when needed! Good idea to have a set of carbon tips if you break one, they are not particularly fraigle but you do have to be careful. The kit comes with a metal holder sleeved in leather so you can set the VERY hot tongs down. IMHO I don't know how a service plumber wouldn't want it on the truck.

wookie

Comment

We had to use them on some new construction jobs, after a 2 story apartment complex burnt down. No, it wasn't me. I put out all my fires-scorches.

After six years, I not quite convinced that Mr. Rick really wants to sell. Ha!

Comment

oh yes he does

that electric soldering tool is for amatures. after 37 years of soldering and brazing up to 6'' copper, i can honestly say, i've never started a fire. after using the electric unit for a day on a 155 unit repipe, i decided not to buy more than 1 unit. i was more concerned with the hot carbons scorching the carpets and flooring than i was with a torch. of course this was before propress came out.

a skilled tradesman knows how to handle his torch and direct the flame.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Here is the ridgid version RT-100 Soldering Gun - RIDGID Professional Tools RT-175 Soldering Gun - RIDGID Professional Tools My old man bought a set that plugs into our pipe thawer. The thawer is like this Ridgid version just with quick connect cables on our model. Pipe Thawers - RIDGID Professional Tools

The main advatnage of this is no flame inside a wall where there is a massive draft that can start a fire.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by kasperghost View Post
                  i know this is a very old thread, but i need to resurrect it.

i can see all the arguments between using flame and the electrical type of soldering. i am wondering if i have a prefab set-up of some solenoid valves, roughly 20 at a time, and propress is not an option for the inlet/outlet of these valves, would it make sense to get an electrical soldering tool that i can hit 40 joints back-to-back? i am thinking that the heating of the first joint to the second joint it bettered by almost half the time, will i save on labor when i do this repetitively 20 times over? any help would be greatly appreciated. and if someone was willing to allow me to try this out will the possibility of purchasing the tool, i would be most appreciative. thanks again!
                  Unless you specifically cannot have any flame, go with a torch. It will be faster and easier. And for a short run of 40 joints less expensive.

Comment

Hey Rick, you forgot the smiley face after amateur IMHO A professional trademan will use the best tool/technique they think will do the best job. RT-100 is a specialty tool not meant to replace a torch. In addition to using it in spots where I want no fire I also use it for convenience when I don't want to leave scortch marks were the customer can see it, looks amateur to me yes, its doable without the torch, my choice. Never had a problem damaging carpet or flooring, just like the torch just use it properly.

Not trying to start a FLAME war

wookie

Comment

there are simple solutions hat don't cost hundreds. soapy water is a very affective choice. the soap clings to the surface you don't want charred. there are also commercial cold gels that do the same for more money. then there are the fire retardant pads where i've seen them melt a copper penny while holding the blanket in their hand

of course there is the piece of double wall vent pipe that will isolate the flame from the surface. even turbo torch makes a flame shield that clips onto the torch head. it's a double wall design.

believe me if i thought it was worth while, it wouldn't be sitting in my shop the last 15 years. it would be in my truck next to my propress.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Not trying to start a FLAME war

wookie[/QUOTE]

I am slow. Did not get your pun the first time I read it-Kudos-made me laugh.

Comment

In my situation in a large industrial site we have to request a burn (fire) permit for each job that uses exposed flames or creates sparks regardless of the size of the job. The request needs to be submitted to the internal fire department, the crafts workers have to wait for an inspection and issue of permit, then have a 2 hour fire watch after the job is done. With the electric alternative I could reduce the time to get work completed. No permits, no fire watch. If double the time compared to torch soldering I am still way ahead of the game.

Comment

General, you'll be much happier with propress than electric soldering. Especially if there is any water or moisture present.

Plus propress goes up to 4". I think the electric has a 2" capacity on the larger unit.

I honestly think the electric unit was a fad. It would be interesting to know how their sales have been over the years.

Propress is only getting bigger and bigger.

Rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              oh yes he does

that electric soldering tool is for amatures. after 37 years of soldering and brazing up to 6'' copper, i can honestly say, i've never started a fire. after using the electric unit for a day on a 155 unit repipe, i decided not to buy more than 1 unit. i was more concerned with the hot carbons scorching the carpets and flooring than i was with a torch. of course this was before propress came out.

a skilled tradesman knows how to handle his torch and direct the flame.

rick.
                              Rick your final comment will go down n history downunder. As Tony will undoubtedly agree this is something that is no longer taught to our young guys and quite frankly, they don't care to learn

Comment

I am not getting you guy...I just registration with this community I don't get a Place for newbie where I introduce myself and grab rules of this community. Please any body help from where I have to start with...

Comment

Working...
                                X