Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repipe job on home

Hello all,
    I have signed to buy a home contingent on inspection which turned up galvanized pipe some of which has small leaks at shutoff valves. it is a crawl space home in Cleveland Oh area with a large attic where the pipes are and easy access to all. I was given a quote of $2750 from one company from the water meter up using L grade. and incidently it looks like out to the street is gal too but I won't worry about that for now. It looks like a lot of the hot water pipe was replaced at some point in the house so that should be fine. What are your thoughts about about using M grade instead to save money. I have about 1800 to work with that I can ask the bank to pay for the job so I could get most of the job done as they are giving back a lot of my closing costs.

it is a pretty straightforward layout hw tank in middle of house 15 foot run to the left for kitchen, then 15 to 20 feet for the bathroom to the right. the service entrance is in back corner of house i would guess a 30 foot run of pipe. the trap for tub needs replaced it's the old pot style?

that seems a little high to me or maybe not? if not what could i do minimum to take care of business for now? I plan to try and get another 2 estimates but most companys charge 50-75 and I don't even own the home yet and the deal could fall through so i don't want to spend more money on top of my inspection fee plus loan app. I am on a limited budget to get this home but am willing to walk on it it if it is too much.
    any professional opinions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Bill

Originally posted by mdb007
    Hello all,
    I have signed to buy a home contingent on inspection which turned up galvanized pipe some of which has small leaks at shutoff valves. it is a crawl space home in Cleveland Oh area with a large attic where the pipes are and easy access to all. I was given a quote of $2750 from one company from the water meter up using L grade. and incidently it looks like out to the street is gal too but I won't worry about that for now. It looks like a lot of the hot water pipe was replaced at some point in the house so that should be fine. What are your thoughts about about using M grade instead to save money. I have about 1800 to work with that I can ask the bank to pay for the job so I could get most of the job done as they are giving back a lot of my closing costs.

it is a pretty straightforward layout hw tank in middle of house 15 foot run to the left for kitchen, then 15 to 20 feet for the bathroom to the right. the service entrance is in back corner of house i would guess a 30 foot run of pipe. the trap for tub needs replaced it's the old pot style?

that seems a little high to me or maybe not? if not what could i do minimum to take care of business for now? I plan to try and get another 2 estimates but most companys charge 50-75 and I don't even own the home yet and the deal could fall through so i don't want to spend more money on top of my inspection fee plus loan app. I am on a limited budget to get this home but am willing to walk on it it if it is too much.
    any professional opinions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Bill
    We're excited, the house is ours,................but the plumbing stinks. Do yourselve's a favor, insist the the house is repiped, or get estimates for a repipe (not just what the minium for the loan). Make them take that amount off of your offer.

Of course, I know that none of my advice matters, that is why I rarely give advice.You are going to do the minium to get your loan, then spend thousands to repipe again when you spring leaks, which you will based on the facts that you have submitted.
    the dog

Comment

I don't know about over in Cleveland, but here in Toronto, we regularly use type-M Copper pipe in housing. Works perfectly.

If I were repiping my home, I would use Kitek & crimp rings
      It hasn't let me down once since I started using it, plus it's cheaper if you avoid using lots of fittings!

Comment

I hope you're not talking about this kind of pipe:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...a-pipe_adwords

Kitec XPA Pipe Corrosion

If you have Kitec XPA Pipes in your house your family's health may be at risk from tainted drinking water. The Kitec XPA plumbing system is common in many newer households and many people do not even know that they may be at risk. Homes that have been build recently and as far back as 10 or even 15 years may have the Kitec pipe system installed. Kitec piping is manufactured by IPEX USA LLC and an expert evaluation has determined that a manufacturing defect may lead to a corrosive condition in the pipes. Corrosion in the Kitec XPA pipes can be a danger to business and home drinking water systems.

The Kitec XPA Pipe system was advertised as a reliable and corrosion resistant system for both home and business. The Kitec pipes are constructed with a combination of an aluminum tube sandwiched between two layers of plastic. Because of defective manufacturing the pipe may become a corrosion hazard.

Many people do not even know that they have Kitec XPA Pipes in their homes and are unaware of the potential hazards from corrosion to their water pipes. Our law firm can help you determine if you have Kitec XPA pipe in your home. If you have a pipe system that you suspect is contaminating your water, you may be eligible to participate in a Kitec XPA Pipe class action lawsuit.

Register your Kitec XPA Pipe Corrosion Complaint
        If you or a loved one has suffered from drinking water tainted by Kitec XPA pipe corrosion please click the link below to send your complaint to a lawyer who will review your claim at no charge.

Comment

in the USA most use

m copper for heat

L copper for hot and cold water lines

K copper for under ground water main
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

in alberta m is the norm for residential applications, but most engineers specify type L for commercial systems...anyone out there still use type H for heating?
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Where in Alberta? Here in Edmonton almost everybody uses Wirsbo Aquapex. Type M copper from the water service to the water heater and manifolds. Water service is usally Q-Line (Kitec) or Municipex. Once in a while I'll see type K or L, but not very often. Haven't seen Type H in a long time, most use type M for heating. For radiant systems its Wirsbo Hepex or Kitec. Type G copper is still used alot for gas but gas tight or trac pipe is showing up more and more.
              You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                Where in Alberta? Here in Edmonton almost everybody uses Wirsbo Aquapex. Type M copper from the water service to the water heater and manifolds. Water service is usally Q-Line (Kitec) or Municipex. Once in a while I'll see type K or L, but not very often. Haven't seen Type H in a long time, most use type M for heating. For radiant systems its Wirsbo Hepex or Kitec. Type G copper is still used alot for gas but gas tight or trac pipe is showing up more and more.
                What i meant is when copper is used in a res. application (e.g. residential heating systems, or custom homes where the owner requests copper)it's almost never anything other than M. All of the cookie cutter production houses are done in pex obviously. Do you work in commercial?

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                  Do you work in commercial?

Currently, no, I work in residential. I've worked both commercial and industrial but most of my years have been spent in residential construction and service.
                  Housing in Edmonton is crazy right now. I do alot of spec homes and some custom homes aswell but, mostly the "cookie cutter houses" as prices are so high most starter homes sell for $300K plus!

Are you a Flames fan?
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

housing in calgary is pretty nuts too...My day job is at a commercial/light industrial company, but after work i have a small business of my own going doing mostly residential. I'd like to start getting into new housing on the side (I know the money is good)but i havent really had alot of offers on new homes. and believe it or not I am a die-hard blackhawks fan, we still do exist. I'd have to say flames are my number 2 team though, i follow them pretty closely

Comment

Working...
                    X