X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boilers and chemicals

I have 2 of these hot water boilers `super hot` and wanted to know if I need to add chemical to them.They are 5 years old and I have never had to add much make up water to them if any.

I had the water tested today and the chemical sales rep is telling me I need to add chemical to it and wants to sell me a 700 bucks worth of chemicals??

http://www.alliedboilers.com/ AAE series Commercial Gas Boilers

whats your take on this plz.
    Last edited by gobby; 09-15-2006, 09:24 PM.

Wow, that's strange, a sales person that wants to SELL you something.

What did you expect him to say, something like;

"Your water tested fine, you don't need to add any
    chemicals. It's OK, my kids can eat dirt and I don't
    need a new car, this Pinto is running OK, I just hope
    no one rear-ends me."

Also, if you treat your boiler water then the hazard classification of the make-up water connection will change to high risk, which would mean you would (in most states) have to install a RPZ backflow preventer. A high risk/high hazard BF device (in NJ anyway) requires annual testing by a state certified tester and filing the results with the state and/or your water purveyor. The reason is now you don't have a dirty water system cross-connected to your domestic water (which you had before you added the chemicals), to treated boiler water which is a chemical solution. If the pressure in your domestic water system drops below that in the boiler, or the boiler system pressure rises above that of the domestic water system, then you have a back pressure condition which would allow those chemicals supplied by your friendly sales rep to end up in your morning coffee or your kids to bathe in them.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-16-2006, 08:09 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The question is regarding adding chemical to the boiler. I don’t need a tutorial on cross connections and back flows etc.
      I have been certified on testing them and rebuilding them. I’m sure I could tech you a few things or 2 about them.

Now Plz re read the post very slowly if you cant answer it don’t.

P.s that a hybrid hummer there in your avatar??

Comment

Gobby,

Chemical treatment is a plus because it will help prevent scale and build-up in the piping and heating coils. In a domestic water system debris is flushed out of the piping each time a fixture is open. In a "closed" system the same water circulates, thus any debris settles on the pipe and coil walls.

I strongly agree with Bob D. on providing a RP device to the make-up water.

Also "...this Pinto is running ok...." that was funny.
        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by gobby
          The question is regarding adding chemical to the boiler. I don’t need a tutorial on cross connections and back flows etc.
          I have been certified on testing them and rebuilding them. I’m sure I could tech you a few things or 2 about them.

Now Plz re read the post very slowly if you cant answer it don’t.

P.s that a hybrid hummer there in your avatar??
          gobby, i hope you didn't just piss off 1 of the sharpest guys here in the plumbing forum. it's hard to tell what trade your in since it 's not in you profile. also from your post on water heater dampers, it shows little knowledge in even answering a couple of simple questions.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Wow, that's strange, a sales person that wants to SELL you something.

What did you expect him to say, something like;

"Your water tested fine, you don't need to add any
            chemicals. It's OK, my kids can eat dirt and I don't
            need a new car, this Pinto is running OK, I just hope
            no one rear-ends me."

Who pissed off who??

Comment

Hey, I'm not pissed off. The first half of my reply was a smart *** remark about sales people in general, the balance I threw in because I figured if you had to ask about boiler water treatment you might not know that the backflow was needed to protect your water system.

As you was everyone, nothing to see here.

Yes, that is a Hummer made by AM General you see in my avatar. Only the US Marines have hybrid HUMVEEs (3 prototypes that I know of). Mine is diesel and it gets from 15 to 16 MPG. The gas hogs are the H2 POS that GM makes, they get about 10 MPG on a good day.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 09-16-2006, 07:36 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

gobby, unless you have a serious problem with your water or have a constant need to add make up water , I don't see the point in that much chemistry for boiler water. If they are high pressure steam, that would be a whole different story.

gobby are you a maintenance man?

Comment

thx for your opinion pipes.

No I’m not a maintance man pipes.
                  I’m a 3rd class power engineer
                  Millwright
                  pipe fitter
                  plumber
                  sprinkler systems installer
                  and a 3rd year refrigeration mechanic.

Comment

education

you should have a boiler maintenance log, which will tell you how to maintain your boiler, that should be provided by your supplier, if not, ask a certified boiler inspector for help

how often do you do a bottom blow down???

did you replace your pressure relief valve yet??

Comment

lol

Comment

Working...
                      X