Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terms and conditions

Hi all,

Being not-so-new to the sewer biz, but new to running my own biz, I wondered if any old-schooler's would be willing to give some advice on disclaimers/terms and conditions that should be printed on my invoices regarding events like broken cables, pre-existing conditions, root warranties, ect? Thanks for any help.
    "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Originally posted by rafterq
    Hi all,

Being not-so-new to the sewer biz, but new to running my own biz, I wondered if any old-schooler's would be willing to give some advice on disclaimers/terms and conditions that should be printed on my invoices regarding events like broken cables, pre-existing conditions, root warranties, ect? Thanks for any help.
    Somebody like Rick is probably your huckelberry here, but I would think that broken cable would be your problem. Their condition and use would be the main factors, both of which you can control.

Just an unqualified opinion.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by rafterq
      Hi all,

since i don't go out and solicit work, i don't worry about disclaimers. typically i already have a feel on most drain cleaning jobs. i do talk to the customer and inform them as much as possible. i don't get them to sign anything in advance for my work. i do notate the problems and print them up on the invoice at the time the work is finished.

as far as a stuck cable goes, i've only had 2 that i couldn't get out. 1 is still in there for the last 3 years and i was just back for the first time this week. i cleared the stoppage and ran my camera to see what was going on. it appears that there was a cable already in the line when i got stuck and wrapped up in it. this is the time a camera comes in real handy.

as far as a warranty goes. i don't have anyting in writing, but since all of my work is refferals, i will make good on it in the first 90 days if the proper access is used. i can't warranty a main line (4'') root stoppage through a 2'' opening. although i do get lucky and tend to clear the line for a period of time to allow a proper cleanout to be installed. this i do explain and write into the invoice.

as far as cables go, dog is correct. the cables should be sized for the job. the condition of the cables should be new. experience will give you the feel when the cable is too stressed. "you don't go fishing for sharks with a trout pole" use the proper machine with the proper cables and life will be easy.
      i am amazed when i go to a new customer and they tell me the other company used a much smaller machine.

be up front and honest with the customer. your worries will be under control.

hope this helps. probably not exactly what you were looking for

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm with Rick I don't include a disclaimer but I did include on my invoice that there was no warranty on root stoppages. As far as broken cable I only broke one in 30+ years (not a ridgid cable) but I have told customers many times on hard drains that if the cable breaks it is on them. The key is to always be up front. If you have a drain and you know the only way to clear it is to push the limits of the cable you need to let the customer know before you do it.

Good luck-Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Much obliged, guys. Those are some things to consider. See you in the trenches.
          "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
            as far as a warranty goes. i don't have anyting in writing, but since all of my work is refferals, i will make good on it in the first 90 days if the proper access is used. i can't warranty a main line (4'') root stoppage through a 2'' opening. although i do get lucky and tend to clear the line for a period of time to allow a proper cleanout to be installed. this i do explain and write into the invoice.
            rick.
            i had a callback yesterday on a 4'' 119' long sewer run. i cleaned it 61 days ago and i had a video from a year earlier. so i knew how far the sewer ran and where the root issues were. met the owner at the duplex property that he rents out. ran a 3.5'' cutter with offset into the line to clear the standing water at 28' in. pulled back dental floss and hair. the front unit connects at 37' in. so this was a rear unit problem only. i then snaked the line all the way to the main. the owner had no problem paying me since i had explained to him that dental floss and hair is something that should not be flushed down the line. dental floss is like a spider web. it catches on any bad fittings or roots and will collect there until it stops up the line. he paid me and will write a letter to the 2 roomates that they will pay for the next non- root stoppage. rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X