X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water softener problem

My Sears water softener of 6 years cause me problems the other day. Before I went to bed the other night, I turned on the faucet and no water came out. I assumed the city had turned it off because of some problem. The next morning I woke up and found the water still off but I heard the sound of running water. I went to the basement and found several inches of water on the floor and the brine tank running over. Whatever happened caused the filter media to expel all over the floor too.

When I read how the system is supposed to work, I can't understand how the house water would ever be shut off or how the media would be washed out of the tank. It would seem to be that the brine tank over filled because the float valve stuck or is damaged.

Ideas??

My guess would be damage to the backwash control. It regulates the gpm that the softner backwashes at. typical low like 1.5 gpm. If a softner backwashes at a higher rate nothing stops the resin bed from getting into the control head. Once that happens it causes all types of problems because it can block flapper valves from opening or closing.

Overall I'd never recomend a water softner you buy at sear or HD. Typical they aren't built well and do not last. Repairing them or finding replacement parts is often a lost cause.

I install Autotrol and Fleck equipment. I regularly service equipment that is 30 plus years old. Typical those calls the only thing wrong is the injectors got plugged.

Comment

boytyperanma,

i have well water, and a water softener with high counts of iron and sulphur (noxious odor and staining). Can you recommend a whole house filter system for these concerns?

I've tentatively looked at the Rhino EQ-300

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench
        boytyperanma,

i have well water, and a water softener with high counts of iron and sulphur (noxious odor and staining). Can you recommend a whole house filter system for these concerns?

I've tentatively looked at the Rhino EQ-300
        I'll assume your water has iron and sulfur not your softner.

Without good data its near impossible to recomend a sollution.

Any catch all solution like the equipment you site is generaly bs. I didn't read into much detail on it but I beleive it uses 2 types of media in the fiberglass tanks. One would be activated carbon the other would likely be a basic filter material like filter ag. While these will take a good amount of things out of the water it doesn't take everything out(like clear water iron or iron bacteria) and has a limited capacity when it comes to sulfur.

In your case you have a water softner that is going to take out any iron in the ionic state(clear water iron) but it will only take out physical peices of iron(red water iron) at a very minimal level. Do you have like a flim on the inside of your toilet bowls that you can stir up? If you have a managable amount of red water iron adding a simple cartridge filter to your existing system would take care of your iron problem.

The sulphur smell isn't nessesarily a sulphur problem. Does it smell the same in the hot and cold water? Is it stronger at different sinks or first thing in the morning?

Iron bacteria(not a health problem) can cause a sulphur smell and it tends to grow in high iron water. A basic thing you can do is bleach the well and the pipes through the house. That will kill any sulphur smell you may have. If the sulphur smell returns then you look into other options. (next you'd test for sulphur)

Comment

Working...
        X