X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching PVC to cast iron?

I'm remodeling our bathroom and have run into a problem. The galvanized sink drain has rotted where it attaches to the cast iron drain pipe in the wall (broke off at the joint). I'll need to cut into the wall to get at it and am wondering if I can use PVC instead of galvanized once I have the broken galvanized end removed from the joint.

Is there an easy and leakproof way of making the connection?

This is quickly turning into one of those "One step forward and two steps backward" type of projects and any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA

as long as you cut off the hub, the cast iron pipe should be the same outside diameter /o.d. as the pvc pipe.

a regular no-hub/ n.h. band will work perfectly. this is the method used everyday by pros. you need a 1 1/2'' n.h. band.

a 1.5'' san-tee will be needed to stub out of the wall and connect to the vent. therfore 2- 1.5'' bands are needed. 1 for the bottom/ waste and 1 for the vent connection.

make sure you purchase the bands that have a stainless steel shield. the all rubber bands are for outdoor use only.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Technically, under the UPC you would need a transition coupling (such as a Mission #CP150) to go from cast iron to plastic. A standard no-hub band will work, and I have used them, but I have been called on it by inspectors as well.

See UPC section 316.2.3
      the dog

Comment

Thanks for the replies..........

As it turns out, the cast iron drain pipe connection is actually a 90 degree elbow with all of the threads rotted as well. It looks like I'm going to need to bust in from the other side (luckily it's a closet) and replace the elbow.

Since cutting the flange on the elbow will leave virtually nothing on that leg to attach the band to, I think that I'll be back to the original setup: new Galvanized drain pipe into a new cast iron elbow. Is there a better way?

Comment

Groovy,

1) Is the elbow attached to a horizonal galv. pipe in the wall?
          the dog

Comment

Yes. It looks like i'll need to cut the drywakk on the other side (tiled wall in bathroom).

Comment

Oops..need a spellchecker. lol

Comment

Last edited by Christopher Lambert; 04-30-2009, 02:39 AM.

Comment

you said there was a 90 in the wall ,is this a costiron 90 with a thread in it that the gal pipe in it . if the cast is still good then clean out the threads and put a new nipple in .
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Lambert
                    Steel drains? This is new to me (although I'm still new to plumbing, so... )

If what you can see outisde your wall has rotted, I don't see any reason why the pipe and fittings inside your wall haven't rotted as well...

As long as the closet wall is open, why not re-pipe with ABS? It will probably save you a headache in the future.
                    Lambert,

Most old plumbing you will see (drain, waste, and vent) will be hubbed cast iron underground, galvanized screwed pipe above ground.
                    the dog

Comment

Groovy,

Since you are wacking open walls anyway, do yourself a favor. Cut out the san tee, replace it with plastic, all the way to the nipple coming out of the wall. Use transition couplings to install the plastic fittings.
                      the dog

Comment

Update: I cut into the wall from the closet and removed the old elbow. The threads were totally shot and with it in place, I couldn't get a clean out snake into the horizontal pipe very well. I was then able to run a threaded plastic adapter off the new elbow and into the bathroom.

All of this fun started because the wife wanted a new countertop. Her timing was perfect because that old mess couldn't have lasted much longer anyway.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
                          Technically, under the UPC you would need a transition coupling (such as a Mission #CP150) to go from cast iron to plastic. A standard no-hub band will work, and I have used them, but I have been called on it by inspectors as well.

See UPC section 316.2.3
                          dog last time i checked it was required on piping 2.5'' and larger. this is of course for similar o.d. size piping

this is from memory from 1995.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

As I recall, according to the UPC the coupling must be installed per it's listing. As No-Hub couplings are only listed for No-Hub pipe they are only suppose to be used with No-Hub pipe. The exception is many jurisdictions have amended the UPC to allow their use on No-Hub to Plastic in sizes 2" and smaller.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The current used code in California (2001 California Plumbing Code) states under plastic connections to other materials:

"....only approved types of fittings and adaptors designed for the specific transition intended shall be used"

There is no mention of pipe sizes exempted.

As recently as three months ago I was dinged by an inspector in orange county for using a 2" no-hub band on an ABS to CI transition.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X