Kitchen design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen design

In the future I plan to redo my kitchen. I do not plan on staying in this house for more than 5 more years so Im looking for bang for the buck with my projects. I can picture a window looking over the backyard as a good idea, but right now the stove is right where the window "wants" to be. Is there any possible code violation against having the window over the stove? If it werent a problem I can see some good coming out of it, as the window would also provide some ventilation for the stove. If there is an issue with where I want the window to go, I can (but again, looking for bang for buck...aka Im CHEAP) move the stove to another wall and put the sink there (that is, if its allright to put a sink along an outside wall)

Again, this is a long term project, but Ive been in the planning stage since 2001, when we bought the house. Right now I have the lumber (got for free at my day job) but still havent starting gathering cabinet body parts. I work fulltime in a cabinet shop, so if Im patient the right parts will always come along by "accident"

Re: Kitchen design

The window may be hard to keep clean

Comment

I can see there being an issue with a gas stove, the wind from an open window could blow out the flame and leave gas flowing. Most designs put the sink under the window. No issue with a sink on the outside wall just keep the water lines inside the room (not behind the drywall)

Comment

Are you on a slab or a cross? That could make moving the drain more work than you want. I second the it would be hard to keep clean. Do you have room for an island? Keep in mind, you should be able to walk a triangle between the stove, the sink, and the frig. If you don't any cooking will be a pain in the ***.

Comment

If the Depot you work at has a NKBA certified designer, they should know the code.

I think there are a couple of problems with the idea. First I would be concerned about the possibility of the window coverings catching fire. You would also all but eliminate the possibility of having a range hood.

I think there are better designs that will make the kitchen more desirable when you sell.

Comment

I went threw my code book, and by god I couldn't find anything about the placement of a stove with a window near it. You would think that it would be against a code. As mentioned earlier about wind snuffing out gas and curtains may catch on fire. Then theres got to be moister problems, such as rain coming in through the window and getting in behind your stove, or steam fogging up the window and possibly damaging the weather stripping or more. There is countless reasons not to, so common sense would be do not mix the two. However I could not find the code on it, but there must be one. This will be a question I won't forget to ask my building inspector.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. My future plans for the kitchen will include moving the sink, or forgetting the window, but with the deck I just built the window seems like it needs to be there

Comment

Play around with it on paper, but if nothing else, move the stove, leave the sink where it is, and make this a baking area at the new window. How far away from this area is the current sink location? It could be a prep area if the sink is a step or 2 away. If across the room, that wouldn't work well. If there is enough room in this kitchen for a desk, it could be this is the perfect place. Plan meals, pay bills, and be able to look out the window and have natural light at the same time. Lots of possibilities. Look at your kitchen and see which will work best for you. Jim.
                At the least I'm Pentatoxic...most likely I'm a Pentaholic. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3.

Comment

Working...
                X