Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Popcorn ceiling Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Popcorn ceiling

    I agree with the others to test for Asbestos before you touch the ceiling. I also agree it is not as bad as some may think. I started out in HVAC when we would wrap our ducts with Asbestos then use Asbestos tape and wheat paste to seal them. I cannot tell you how much of this stuff I coughed up but that was 35-years ago and no problems to date. Still I was involved in a case where a plumber repiped a home and cut the ceiling open with a Sawzall. When Asbestos was found after the job was done the plumber’s insurance got hit with a $20,000 clean up.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Popcorn ceiling

      Originally posted by DavidRamey View Post
      I grew up around asbestos, used asbestos in science and chemistry class, brakes on cars and trucks used to have asbestos linings, I spent 30 years blowing the asbestos dust from the brake drums. Asbestos is bad and damaging, but not to the extent that people believe now days. People seem to think that if you breathe a little asbestos dust you will die immeidately. I would not hesitate to buy a house that had asbestos in it and I would not be afraid to remove it myself.
      David I know several guys who died from asbestos exposure in their early forties, and they never smoked. It's nothing to fool aroud with.

      Willy

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Popcorn ceiling

        Originally posted by DavidRamey View Post
        I grew up around asbestos, used asbestos in science and chemistry class, brakes on cars and trucks used to have asbestos linings, I spent 30 years blowing the asbestos dust from the brake drums. Asbestos is bad and damaging, but not to the extent that people believe now days. People seem to think that if you breathe a little asbestos dust you will die immeidately. I would not hesitate to buy a house that had asbestos in it and I would not be afraid to remove it myself.
        Not sure about other States, but in Maryland, only a licensed contractor for Asbestos removal can remove or do anything with Asbestos if found in a home. I went through this a number of times over the years.

        No, you do not die right away, it takes anywhere from 15-20 years or more to develop sympstoms of Mesophelioma.

        The area has to be sealed off, hosed down, ventilated with filters designed for Asbestos and then, only then can removal begin.
        I used to do change outs of old furnaces and oil rigs, back in those days, Asbestos was commonly in use for insulation on the old girls and we always had to call in a specialist to remove the Asbestos first.

        Worth all that hassle? I won't say yes, I won't say no. No one knows exactly how much exposure you need nor exactly what type, before the process of an incurable cancer starts.

        Comment

        Working...
        X