Garage door question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door question

I just recently insulated my garage door with 1 3/4" foam. I've heard since then that I should make some adjustments to the spring/cables to compensate for the weight (which I feel is almost non-existant). There are 16pieces that are 43" long and 20" high. If anyone out there is savvy about garage doors, I'd love your input.
    Thanks,
    Jack
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Re: Garage door question

res057: Does your door have an operator on it? If it does, disconnect it and try the door by hand. If it goes up easily with little effort on your part, no adjustment is necessary. If it takes quite a bit of lift, or if it doesn't want to stay up, then you do need to adjust. If the door has a torsion spring, I strongly suggest you get a garage door pro to adjust it. They can be very dangerous without the proper tool and know how. HTH, Jim

Comment

I agree with Pipestone kid, I have installed plenty of doors. You go messing with the springs, you better know what your doing. If you do have to make any adjustments, it shouldn't be more than a half or a quarter of a turn. But the weight thats been added, isn't much, so you are more then likely fine.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If it is torsion-spring type, disengage the opener if you have one and slowly open it. See where it will sit by itself without coming back down. If it is between waist and shoulder high, it should be fine. If it comes crashing down from waist or chest high, then call a pro to adjust the springs unless you have watched a pro do it and feel comfortable doing it yourself. Even if the springs don't need adjusting, if you have an opener, run the checks on it. You may need to adjust the settign a bit to keep it from "running away" when closing.
        If it is the side coil spring lever type, I haven't a clue as I have never messed with that type except to help a neighbor rescue her car when the spring popped off.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for the advise. The door has been working the same as it did before. I just thought it prudent to ask someone in the know.
          ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X