X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim

ok i have a new feeling towards my brad nailer but.....with installing trim and going back over nail holes with putty/spackle whatever its called, is a pin nailer the best choice for this project ? I will suffice to use my nailer atm as funds are low but im curious as to what nailer /pinner would be good for installing trim. I have 4 rooms to finish trimming and i have store bought pre primed trim. ( sorry again funds , no real wood trim). I am going to build real wood cabinets this summer though . Any suggestion will be helpful.

Re: trim

I use an 18 gauge nailer to put up MDF casings, crown, and baseboards all the time. Very little (if any) hole to fill. What gauge nail are you using?

Comment

A 23 gauge pin has no head on it so it will offer almost zero holding power. For this job, a pin nailer would not be the best tool to use. I agree that an 18 gauge brad nailer is the tool of choice for most floor and ceiling trim work.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i have an 18 gauge brad nailer now. I was just curious as to what is best. I have always used my 18 gauge on trim though. Now to just finish it up and paint it .

Comment

It depends on what you're working with. 18 GA is fine for the lighter trim, but if you're putting up some larger crown you should use a 15 or 16 GA finish nailer. Usually if it's over 3" crown I'll use 15 GA and for most other trim I like to use 16 GA.

Comment

If you are going to paint the trim ( I assume you are) 23 pinner is fine. In my experience it holds well for all kinds of trim because you can afford to pop a lot of pins in without them being visible. I use mdf and pre-finished cherry, oak and maple and find it sticks em pretty good. I think they are coated with and adhesive, either for the collation or to make give them more holding power, but either way it seems to keep stuff in place. (Sadly I have had to "unplace" more than one piece of trim after pinning it)

One other thing is mostly the pinners are 1-1/8" max, with some high end (cost) models being 1-7/8". Finding pins that length is another story.

PS take with a grain of salt as I love my 23 gauge so much I'd recommend it for framing
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post

PS take with a grain of salt as I love my 23 gauge so much I'd recommend it for framing
              Yeah, framing a doll house...

Comment

Working...
              X