X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masonite not fiberglass doors

My special order doors came in at HD, two weeks late, and they are masonite not fiberglass as the homeowner said they would be. Should I give any special considerations to trimming masonite doors? I planned to use a Freud 24 tooth alternate top bevel blade and mask the cutline top and bottom with blue painter's tape.

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Masonite not fiberglass doors

My question is does the homeowner still want the doors since they were expecting fiberglass?

"...they are masonite not fiberglass as the homeowner said they would be..."
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Yes, they still want the doors. They really don't care what the doors are made of as long as they are six panel doors. They don't care with the exception that they didn't want the doors made from wood. I have no idea why not but that is what they said in the beginning.

Tom

Comment

You should be okay Tom.

I would make sure you set the blade depth about 3/8" of an inch deeper than the door and clamp a good straight edge to the door unless you happen to own a Festool circular saw that rides on its own track.

Good Luck
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Unfortunately I do not own one of the Festool circular saw systems. If this project '...takes hold' I would certainly consider buying one. I think it a great innovation.

Tom

Comment

I just bought some of the 6 panel masonite doors from Lowes to make sliding doors for two closets. Warning: the edge frame is pressboard (pine wood only on the corners), and is only about 5/8" to 3/4" deep. If you cut off more than that, you will need to strip the outside masonite off the core piece and glue it back into the open end, or rip a piece of board to fill the hole (on mine it was 1 3/32" thickness between the outside masonite layers). I hope the lockset is pretty standard height. The piece of particle board beteen the middle and bottom set of panels is not overly large either.

I cut mine using a 24T DeWalt blade on my circular saw, and what minor chipout I had cleaned up easily with a sanding block and some 150 gr sandpaper when smoothing the edge.

Good Luck

Go
            Last edited by Gofor; 06-09-2007, 03:50 PM.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor,

Thank you for the tip on the small area to drill for the lockset. No chipout to speak of for me either. I also used 150 grit paper but I used my Ridgid random orbital sander to put a small chamfer on the edges. These doors have pine on all the edges but the top and bottoms are chipboard. What a big nusiance those doors are to hang. I have averaged two hours per door and that is just for hanging them. I still have to drill for and install the locksets. The steel frames have warped over time far more than I anticipated. Nothing is square, plumb or level. The only thing saving me is that I refused to give a unit price and would only do the work as a per hour price. I have a small 8X8 storage shed to build next Saturday so I have to finish the doors today, Sunday. Oh well... "Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you."

Tom

Comment

Working...
              X