taking suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking suggestions

My shop is in basement. I wish to find a way to sound proof the area some so its not so noisy upstairs. How can i go about making the shop area more sound absorbing in the joists? I am thinking open faced insulation. The walls will be no problem as i am framing in the walls now and insulating as i go. I would also like to install the insulating sheets that have black/silver sides on cieling in baement. That should reflect more light around and help in noise reduction also . Or at least something similar to reflect the light . My basement is dreary dark now so i know white paint is in order. So , if i use open faced insulation in the floor joist and maybe use hardboard and paint that white , will that work just as good ?
    I am still in the shop although not doing woodworking atm lol. Thanks in advance.

Re: taking suggestions

I am in the basement too, the TS that is.
    In the winter since I dont heat the basement the floor in the office and the kitchenette area is cold. Being and old fart I have a bit of sensiblity to the cold floor. the basement stays at about 48 t0 50 degress F .I spend most of the day in the office and sometimes the better part of the evening when I have to work ,so the cold creeps in to me.....
    I was thinking of putting up some 2 inch blue board foam on the cieling.for that part of the basement where the office and kichen are on the first level.
    §m€llŸ™

Comment

Originally posted by hellcatt200 View Post
      My shop is in basement. I wish to find a way to sound proof the area some so its not so noisy upstairs. How can i go about making the shop area more sound absorbing in the joists? I am thinking open faced insulation. The walls will be no problem as i am framing in the walls now and insulating as i go. I would also like to install the insulating sheets that have black/silver sides on cieling in baement. That should reflect more light around and help in noise reduction also . Or at least something similar to reflect the light . My basement is dreary dark now so i know white paint is in order. So , if i use open faced insulation in the floor joist and maybe use hardboard and paint that white , will that work just as good ?
      I am still in the shop although not doing woodworking atm lol. Thanks in advance.

What you describe will partially deaden the sound of woodworking machines below, ie: tablesaw etc.

However if you want to do a proper sound proofing job on your ceiling check out this link.
      It involves resilient channel and acoustical matting.
      Check the illustration halfway down the page...
      Last edited by jbergstrom; 06-13-2007, 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

My be a set of designer ear muffs for your wife, for her birthday,

a floating ceiling may help basically a false ceiling that is not attached to the floor above,
        http://www.soundproofing.org/images/ceiling_proof.jpg

http://www.soundproofing.org/images/wall_2d.jpg
        by making a break between the two surfaces, the vibrations are not transmitted through,
        http://www.soundproofing.org/
        a rubber isolator
        http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/vi...dbeam.htm?d=24

and using materials that will not vibrate, (that is why tar or heavy roofing type felt is glued to car panels, to keep them from vibrating,

also in the room things that will absorb sound soft type materials, foams (Usually open cell), I don't know if you remember "HE HAW" one of there segments was a radio station and on the walls were Egg carton dividers, believe it or not there very effective to absorb sounds, the multiple angles keep the sound vibrations from bouncing to other surfaces,

keeping the surface from transmitting the vibrations form one surface to the next is a big portion of control, absorption is another,(deadening the sound),
        using insulation the denser the better, something to make it hard for sound to travel through it, (normal fiber glass has little damping abilities, it is not dense enough to disturb the sound waves,

http://www.quietsolution.com/index.html

using isolation pads may help under the machine,
        Last edited by BHD; 06-18-2007, 12:39 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The previous soundproofing suggestions are great. I would forego using any kind of metallic or shiney silver materials for the ceiling, as you'll quickly find the glare will be very distracting and tireing to your eyes.

Regarding the comments about a cold floor, I have a similar problem as well as a bit of dampness. I know I've suggested this before, so want to tell you that I am not affiliated in any way with this company... just think it's a terrific product. Check out www.dricore.com for what I think, is a great solution to cover concrete floors. I have used them in both the basement and the garage work area. At $5. a square (23"), that sounds expensive, but when you total it up and consider the benefits, it's really not.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

WOW someone said HE HAW lol ya i remember that show lol. I seen that eggcarton idea also. I ll start saving them now . That is a great idea. I will get open cell foam boards and cut to width and then use the egg cartons . I need to worry about headroom so a floating accuostical is out of the question. My basement hieght is 7.5 foot and im 6.4 hehe. the only spot i duck is for the duct work .I will just paint the whole cieling white after i get the egg cartons up Just more work to keep me in the shop thxs all for ideas

Comment

Working...
            X