X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed inspection!!

My first ever wall to have to be inspected, passed! It included building a platform for a floor onto a concrete pad, covered the sticks with ply and laid down vinyl tile flooring. Then built 3 new walls on top. All plumb, all level, all with appropriate drywall nailer studs in the corners even!! Everything 16" on center except the support platform, which I put 12" oc because I haaaaaaaaate squeeky floors. Even though it's not my house, it's built the way I'd like my own stuff built. Inspector was quite pleased I used pressure-treated boards on the concrete and held them in with liquid nails and the concrete anchors. For the anchors, I used my .22-cal nailer. Fun Fun!!

Anyway...I know you're all WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more skilled and experienced than I, but I'm just so doggone happy the structure passed inspection!! There were a lot of gotcha's on the project. The one wall spanned two different additions in the home, so there were different ceiling heights, and not a damn thing was plumb nor level!! Seems odd to have straight walls in there now!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Passed inspection!!

Great job Sandy. Nothing like the great feeling of satisfaction of a job well done! Congrats on things working out and the extra attention to detail on something I am sure will last a very long time.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Congrats Sandy,
      By the By, from the sound of the steps you took to put this critter together, I'd guess that you've got more than enough experience to pull it off. I like the use of construction adhesive and Rem power nailer. If you've ever tried to pry anything apart put together with either method, you know that it's nearly impossible to do. Yet alone BOTH holding them together. I'd guess that dynamite is about the only way to move them now. Enjoy a cold one knowing job is well done. Bet that homeowner is mighty happy too. Nothing like working on a job as if it's your own to make the right decisions and get it done "perfecto."
      Jim Don

Comment

Congratulations Sandy Sounds like a job well done

Sounds like you made some important observations as well...

Always assume nothing is level or square, because it seldom is...

Passing an inspection "always" makes the beer taste better
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I'm very happy for you Sandy, nice job.

I remember my first framing job, 27 years ago give or take a month. I was also ecstatic about my accomplishment, so I do know what that feels like.

Pat yourself on the back again and have a cold one as JimDon said. Plus its Friday.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

just a question here.. I thought I read somewhere that pt wood was not allowed in a house because of chemicals that can leach out or something like that.

Comment

New PT is not as caustic as the old CCA. The A in CCA was for Arsenic. They can't use that any longer for the chemical mix that goes into the PT wood. I did make sure the boards I got were of the "newer" chemical mix. There's stamps on the wood that give the chemicals.

Comment

Hate to post twice...but I'm dog tired! It's beer time, and I really appreciate the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                  Hate to post twice...but I'm dog tired! It's beer time, and I really appreciate the kind words.
                  did't know you and plumbdog are an item

dog clear some of your p.m. it's full and can't accept anymore.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X