X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced/Speed Framing

Has anybody done any Advanced Wall Framing or in our terms Speed Framing?

If so, do you really save the H.O. up to 20% or more in labor and materials? This will give you more Insulation in your walls by using less studs, which is a plus. Easier for electrical work, less drilling and so on.

Something tells me its not that popular, I had a H.O. asked me a few weeks back if I do that kind of Framing Technique.

For Christ sake, they are always trying to save a few bucks.

This has been on my mind since. I went ahead and gave him a normal bid, but last night I talked to him again and this is the way he wants his house built, I said I need to talk with the Building Inspector to see if its ok to build like this.

So now I have to wait till next week to talk to our B.I. and see if he will approve of this type of structure in our area. He only comes around once a week.

If you don't know what this is about, its easier for me to say google it. I have seen this type of framing before, just not in our area.

Also, whats your opinion on this topic, would you build a house this way, or would you be weary of it haunting you?
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Advanced/Speed Framing

I've built sheds this way but I don't know about building my home with it.
    24" o/c for floor? Hope they don't own a piano.
    The one article I read said savings could amount to $500 to $1000 in material, 3-5% savings in labor and up to (key words being 'up to') 5% heating savings. It hardly seems worth the risk.
    If the HO really wants to save money on heating why not just go a few $1000 overboard on insulation?
    It sounds like some tree hugger voodoo from people that know nothing about snow loads.
    I'd check with your insurance company and make sure they will cover you if the place crumbles.
    Keep in mind Im not an engineer or contractor but I think there must be a reason we've been building homes all these years with traditional framing.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Agreed, thats what I'm looking for. I'm sure there are others that feel different though. God I hope not.

I don't know about doing this job, maybe I'll just pass it up.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Not in my house! I would not even build my shop like that, I could go 24" OC with 2 X 6 studs but why bother for a few hundred in material. If it snows like it used to one year in the future I will not have to wonder if the roof will hold. Also noticed that wind storms are becoming way more frequent and MUCH stonger. I can't imaging what a 24" OC floor would be like, mine is 16 with 2 X10's max 13' span, 3/4 T&G deck glued and screwed and it is just passable in my books

Comment

I tried some of the ideas once when I was first starting, (Fortunately) it was not in my home area, and never again.

The customer want cheap, and we "cut corners" similar to the "Advanced Wall Framing" http://www.socalgas.com/construction...%20FRAMING.htm and later all I heard was how poor of a job I had done when I talked to some of the people who used the building, in later years.
          (basically they wanted a glorified farm out building built) but did not like the problems it caused when they went to finish it on the inside.
          It was for a church camp, whey wanted cheap and I did do them a good job but they were not happy with the results after the fact, I guess they wanted champagne on a beer budget,

there is little blocking/backing in the walls hard to fasten trim up as there is minimum lumber and so on, the studs on 24"o/c make poor walls when dry walled, need to 5/8 IMO, and even then not that great, (holes are easily broke in it),

If you want you reputation smeared try it, I don't think in the long run they will like the decision, and you will carry the scorn of those who pushed you in to it, That my two cents.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I know BOCA doesn't apply anymore but theyre guidelines on acceptable framing are still practiced here. The only place I have heard of to use this was SOCAL

Comment

Originally posted by chief rock View Post
              I know BOCA doesn't apply anymore but theyre guidelines on acceptable framing are still practiced here. The only place I have heard of to use this was SOCAL
              You mean SOCAROLINA

You can't even build a birdhouse 24" on center out here in So.Cal Too much Rock and Roll baby

Comment

I'm sure this style method is not for the entire USA, but they have built many homes this way. Also, as far as I know, not one home was blown down by mother nature (I'm not referring to Hurricanes and Tornado's). Mother nature can and will take down any home or building. There are a lot of steel plates that are installed to keep it structurally sound. Icylene (sp?) foam, sprayed in the walls will take care of wallboard integrity.

Maybe you haven't done enough study of this framing method. As far as California, you guys are another country by yourself, almost every label on products there say, this can cause cancer. Of course they won't except this framing method, but other parts do and this will be changing else where.

Where is the proof that normal style framing is superior over Advanced Framing Style. Times are changing and its difficult to adopt to new styles and technique's.

I don't know, I'm really thinking about changing to this style of building, and to Green House Building. I'm not no tree hugger, but I will try to do my part, if I can, try to give credit for that. We can all nick pick everything we do, but in the long run, I think most houses will soon be built like this, w/the exception of Cal. This is a good topic, so keep it alive and voice what you feel, but try to do your research about this. Maybe, just maybe you'll come around.
                Last edited by garager; 07-13-2007, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I don't think there is much structural problems on 24" oc framing, as I have a number of building that have 24" framing in them but they have wood sheathing and no internal wall covering unless it is sheet lumber (wafer boars or ply woods), there farm out buildings and no they will not blow down, unless the diagonal bracing is not done or the horizontal sheeting or siding gets where the nails holes are wore out,

I am not sure if my house is not 24'oc framing, but when it was built in 1903 or so they did not have money to plaster it so it is sheeted on the inside as well as the out side with 1x lap sheeting as well, (I don't know how it was cheaper) but that is what was done, and the building has been moved once from where was built to its current location by a team of horses rolled on well pipe for rollers, only about 300' but still moved,

It is not the 24" on center that is poor in my opinion it is the lack of blocking and the lack of tops plates, and so on, If on was going to ply wood sheet or solid sheet it I would see little problems but with out a real sheeting materials I do see problems.
                  I don't like trying to dry wall 24"OC studs, with 1/2'" rock, if it was wet walled that would be different,

A lot of the "lack of blocking and backing" tricks were old plastering tricks, they would put up the wood lath then build the inter walls and there would be no blocking in the corners of the out side walls or some interior walls In some instances they would lath the out side and then even put up the next outside wall to it so some of the corners were not backed either,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Things are not always what they appear. Yeah you may save two- three trees but your using alot more steel plates in place of those trees. I'd think cutting and processing three trees would be less destructive to the environment then the mining and processing of the extra steel.
                    It would be interesting to see a study, by someone truly objective with no personal agenda, to compare the environmental effects of building a traditional (be it wood, brick, steel) home VS a green home. It would be a daunting task to study everything right down to how much pollution a chain saw makes while cutting down a tree and how much pollution was made to manufacture the saw etc...etc...etc...but it would be quite interesting.
                    I think in the end it would be comparing apples to apples.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      I think in the end it would be comparing apples to apples.
                      Gene I think you maybe right. It would be nice to see a study done on this topic. I have read enough of this style framing to know that it was a one sided story each and every time, same as against the method.

This should be my next move, to find a comparison study or 2 from an unbiased writer. Probably won't be an easy task, but I'll give it a google search and call a few more companies.

Comment

Out here the roof has to be supported,and we don't even have snow loads.My brother frames in Lake Tahoe and I've seen what it takes to hold up their roofs.

Garager,was it my post that made you go into defense mode?
                        If so......DANG BRO,
                        Itsa good thing your not on the job with the animals out here,they would eat you for breakfast P-CAKE(DRY,without butter and syrup)

In all seriousness,if it calcs out,why not.

I as well would like to here more views on the subject

ADAM

Comment

Never even thought I was in a defense mode, drtyhands. I believe I was just chatting along and comparing thoughts. I also live in a snow load area, lots of it. I do understand what it takes to build a home here because this is what I do. I figured there is knowledgeable people here, so lets talk construction and this is a damn good topic. Whether I'm right or wrong on this style of framing, it is starting to come around. So maybe I better get with it and learn as much as I can. Your never to old to learn something new. I'm really looking for someone who has done this style and get some input on this subject.

Comment

Working...
                          X