X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanding concrete?

My front step is poured concrete, and the boobs that textured it (with a brush) did not do a very good job. I would like to "sand" it off and maybe texturise it with one of those "roll on" textures that I see advertised on televison.

Can this be done?

Re: sanding concrete?

This should help you, if you don't want to spend that kind of $$$$, I'm sure you can rent one from a tool rental store.

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/bosch/1773AK/
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

or go with jsut the diamond grinder disk, depending on quality between $50 to $100 and buy a generic or regular grinder,
      http://www.toolbarn.com/cgi-bin/sear...nd+cup+grinder

and depending on the size of it, one can buy a non diamond wheel that looks like a regular grinder wheel made for masonry work, there in the $10 range,
      it will take about 3 to 10 times as long but like I said it depends on the size of the step.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

the step is not large - only about 2 feet wide by 10 feet long.

Is there a technique to sanding concrete?

Comment

I would keep the disk flat, if it is diamond it more than likely will cut fairly fast, water will keep dust down, I would keep it moving at least until you get the hang of how fast it is cutting and so the step is not gouged or grooved in some way.

I have done a lot of cutting with a blade over the years, but I have done little "sanding", but when I have mostly around floor drains that were not finished well or had some flaws in the finishing of the concrete in the drain area,

Wear some kind of dust mask.
          If using water, make sure your plugged into a GFCI out let.

(I do not know what you mean by a roll on texture on concrete, I am not familiar with it)
          Last edited by BHD; 07-24-2007, 11:43 PM.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've never used one of those concrete "sanders" but concrete is very tricky to work with and once its set its even more difficult for obvious reasons. I have my doubts the finish left by that machine over a fairly large surface will be any more desirable than what you already have. My guess is it will leave uneven circular gouges all over the surface. I believe makita makes a concrete "planer" which is desgined to even out surfaces once set. Either way its not going to be an easy project. Definately wear respiratory protection. Without water those diamond blades will kick up a blinding dust cloud in the blink of an eye.

EDIT: This is what I was refering to. Never used one though. http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=PC1100
            Last edited by Velosapien; 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure that Home Hardware Granite stuff is designed to cover imperfections so it goes on with a bit of pile height. I think a rough surface would be desirable to aid in its adhesion to the step.

Comment

I don't know what finish it is he's talking about but if its a roll on treatment he'll need a very smooth surface. If its anything concrete based that requires any thickness such as a mortar the best way then is to use a chipping hammer to chip chunks of the surface and form a good mechanical bond.

Comment

here is link to the stuff im referring too.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/exclusive-to-home_99.htm

I asked the home depot guy today about a concrete "sander" and he showed be a rather large machine (rental) that would definately not get into the corner of the slab (its butted against my house on 2 sides).

Comment

well after some discussion with my neighbour, I think im gonna "can" the idea of sanding my porch. Instead we came up with a way to extend it by building a floating deck on/over it.

Thanks for your input guys - i appreciate it!

Comment

I don't know how much of a mess the step is but you many be able to jsut clean it good and then use the "roll on texture" as it more than likely will build up some, and or if you would "sand" it, I would not think you would need to take down to perfectly smooth finish, but to jsut knock off the high/rough spots that would show through the roll on texture, as more than likely a slightly rough texture would hold the "roll on texture' better than smooth.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

if you are talking about granite touchstone product and you have a broom finish tou can use muriatc acid to etch the concrete and the primer surface sticks well the product works good and last did one five years ago still holding up wouldnt recomend using salt on it though and besure to chip all loose concrete and repair with up 2000 or sika 123 with bonding agent such as abitol use to mix with and in chip and be sure to follow mixing instructions with the acid and water hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                          here is link to the stuff im referring too.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/exclusive-to-home_99.htm

I asked the home depot guy today about a concrete "sander" and he showed be a rather large machine (rental) that would definately not get into the corner of the slab (its butted against my house on 2 sides).
                          how did you get the dust up. I have tried vacuuming and moping. I still have a fine paste residue help

Comment

I really like the pug. My kids have two of them, greatest pets on earth. Made sure the deck is high enough for the pug to nap under.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X