Roofing Materials?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roofing Materials?

Now that it’s too hot to do anything I’ve decided to spring into action on my shed project. It will be 8’ wide and 16’ long with a front porch. I can build it in this city without a permit so I don’t need to worry about codes. My plan is to use two 2 x6 rim joists and 2 x 6 P.T. floor joists under a ½” ply floor. The walls will be 2 x 4 x 8’ studs on 16” centers covered with T-1-11 siding. Now the question.

I had planned to use a rafter style roof with the rafters being 2 x 4 x 10’ on 2’ centers. I was going to cover them with corrugated metal sheets, but the other night I was watching something on TV where the DIYers were using a 5/32 ply roof with a covering of a plastic sticky back material instead of roofing paper. It looked like a breeze to put on. My experience with tar roofing paper goes back almost half a century when I reroofed by father’s chicken houseand nothing since, so I can only claim gross ignorance. Does this stuff really work and is it as easy to install as it sounds? Instead of 3-tab shingles they used a roll-out material and simply nailed it in place. It looked so easy I’m seriously thinking about changing my plan. I’m blind and don’t really look forward to doing a lot of roof climbing. I think I can coerce my son into helping but we still will need to do some ladder work.

Does anybody have any suggestions concerning this idea?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you know the brand name of the plastic material and/or the shingles?

Thanks,
    Bill

Re: Roofing Materials?

please pust 3/4 t&g ply on the floor (you will thank me for this later) and if you are planning in puttin real real heavy items in there then you might want to concider going 90 deg of the floor withe 1/2 ply, the shed is only as strong as your floor
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

The minimum thickness for the roof sheeting should be 7/16" with clips in between each set of studs to help support the 22.5" span. 5/32" sheeting would be like standing on paper, you will fall through and the roof will have dip between the studs. The sticky backed material sounds like it may be ice and water shield. It is a rubbery sealer that sticks to the roof as you peel of the backing material. It is very expensive and usually only used in the first 3' of the roof edge in freezing climates to prevent water from wicking in where the warm part of the house roof meets cold area of the soffit. I think 3 tab shingles would be easiest for you to install as you can get a perfectly straight and perfect tab offset by feel. The 3 tab shingles actually have index slots cut in them. There is an index slit in each side to keep the overlap consistent and there are to index slits on the top of each shingle to ensure the stager is consistent. The four nails per shingle are placed at the outside edges and between the tab slots just below the tar strip.
      I also agree that you will want a thicker floor, I actually used 5/4" deck boards in mine.

Comment

the only reason I could think of using the ice and water shield and then the rolled roofing on top (the rolled roofing protects the ice and water shield), was the slope was to shallow to shed water with thee tab shingles or the timber line style,

(as the cost would be much greater for the ice and water shield and rolled roofing than using felt and three tab shingles)

yes up the thickness of your floor and use at lest 7/16" on the roof,

yes the ice and water shield really works,
        but like said it is expensive,
        but if you have a leak no one can seem to find or stop or the slope not correct,
        have a house my folks lived in and the roof had a nice slop but on the edges it flared out to nearly flat, and three tab shingles would not keep water out, I used the ice and water shield and never had any more problems, also in a odd valley on heavy rains the water would back up in the valley and follow the shingles back down under them, I used Ice and water shield in that valley and solved that problem, as well,

If you have Ice dams in the winter it is a wonder product,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here in Mn, ice and water must go up to a min. of 4' from the house wall and not the overhand.

There is a product called, Low Slope. This is also a sticky roll out roofing material (thick like shingles). You must prime the roof decking first, then peel off the backing on the Low Slope and roll it out. This is what replaces 1/2 lap roofing nowadays. Great stuff, won't come off, last a long time and durable.

For a shed this stuff will work great and no hammering or shooting nails. If you can use a paint brush and make a couple of cut, you can do this. No tar paper to put down or Ice & Water.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            Here in Mn, ice and water must go up to a min. of 4' from the house wall and not the overhand.

There is a product called, Low Slope. This is also a sticky roll out roofing material (thick like shingles). You must prime the roof decking first, then peel off the backing on the Low Slope and roll it out. This is what replaces 1/2 lap roofing nowadays. Great stuff, won't come off, last a long time and durable.

For a shed this stuff will work great and no hammering or shooting nails. If you can use a paint brush and make a couple of cut, you can do this. No tar paper to put down or Ice & Water.
            After reading into this thread I was wondering,out here we use torch down on our flat or min. pitch roofs.Is this product undesireable in freeze zones?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              After reading into this thread I was wondering,out here we use torch down on our flat or min. pitch roofs.Is this product undesireable in freeze zones?
              Not at all, used in mainly commercial buildings, because houses around here are built with pitches w/a few exceptions from an add on or walk out balcony. let me add though, I won't use this on a balcony due the the fact from foot traffic to chair legs, just wear holes into them.
              Last edited by garager; 07-30-2007, 05:02 AM.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
              X