X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh the Roofer

Well guys, this last week I did my first ever roofing job and man am I glad I am a computer nerd . Roofing is rough on the back and ankles.

I helped strip shingles off my dad's garage then we took the week to reshingle it. My hats off to you who are roofers, its a tough job. I like doing jobs like this every once in a while because it gives me more of an appreciation for what goes into building the homes we live in.

Coil nailer's are pretty darn sweet too. Much easier than a hammer.

Josh

Re: Josh the Roofer

Hi Josh,

Back in the day I used to do hot tar roofing, the contractor was to cheap to buy a wand, so we used to have to carry the 400 degree 5 gallon bucket of tar up the ladder, then , if it was a split level, walk it over and go up again.

The pea gravel, we would shovel it above our heads, up to the roof, if it was a split level, we would shovel it up more levels.

Some bad things, it was in new mexico, the summer was already 99 degrees, when we would get a freak rain storm, the water hit the hot tar and made it pop, good thing, the smell I love the smell of hot tar roofing worst thing, the burn blisters
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Have any of you ever made the bad goof of getting on a slate roof on a summer afternoon? Hint: You can fry a burger patty very well done fast on such a roof after the summer sun has heated it up. You can also fry bacon and that kind of smells good until it burns up.

What's wild is to see the first rain drops fall on it. PSSSSSS and lots of flash steam. Or spray it with water (Don't flood it or you'll bust slates) and watch the steam.

SAFETY: Never get on a hot roof. If it needs repairs only go on it during the first hour or so as the sun comes up.

Later in the day YEEEEOOOOOOOUUUUUUCH as you burn yourself and your shoes smoke.

Comment

i just want every one here know that i hate rooging i can't stand it, but the guy across the street from me here loves it(sick) in the avg week he can do 350 square tear off dry in and reshingle, i on the other hand i would be darn lucky to do just 20 square of new aweek, yes i hate it that much
        Last edited by oldslowchevy; 07-28-2007, 11:38 PM.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I'm 45 guys and I still do at least 12 roof jobs a year. I don't sit back and watch.
          This is a good way of staying in shape w/out paying a gym fee. Punking shingles up that ladder then to the peak, makes a man out of you. But damn my legs get sore after that.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I have done a few roofs myself and until recently never given much thought to falling off. I just found out that one of the guys down the road fell off his roof and is now paralyzed and selling the property. Do you guys wear harnesses? Where do you attach them to on the roof?

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Punking shingles up that ladder then to the peak, makes a man out of you. But damn my legs get sore after that.
              But what a manly pair of legs they are

Comment

Funny, PC.

Yes we wear harnesses, attached to the peak. I usually got scaffold along the building or all the way around it. Place the ladder up to the scaffolding and go up the ladder w/the shingles. Once in a while I'll rent out to conveyor, but thats just to darn easy, no work out.

Just on the bigger roofs do I rent the conveyor. Then I let the kids punk the stuff around the roof. But these bigger jobs are harder to find these days, around where I live anyhow.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I hear ya Josh! ...My hat's off to roofer's too!

My boys and cut our teeth on our house roof...two stories, an addition, skylights, valley....~ 30 squares ...oye! Even in Rochester, NY it was so darn hot up there. It's a tough job fer shur.

I hope I'm too old the next time it needs it!

I bought a refurbed PC nailer from Amazon, and resold it as "used" on Ebay when I finished...my total loss on the nailer was ~ $12....that was one of the few good memories of doing that roof!

Comment

Been there as well.Lot of humping of material in the setup.But once you start laying material down(Shingle,Torch-down,or tile)it really starts to fly.If a person is not ready for it the back gets a real work out.But at the end of the day you can see the rewards of a hard days work.

Comment

And every year I keep telling myself, no more roofs for me. First job to do in the spring time, Yes of course its a roof. Never ending jobs, roofs.........

Comment

Working...
                      X