X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Blond/and faucet

I am remodeling another bathroom and I told the woman of the house I will be shutting down the cold water line to the house so they're will still be hot water for an hour or 2, then I'll have them both running again. This house was plumbed for just hot or cold shut off. Any way I needed to remove the toilet and vanity, well the hot water valve wouldn't close all the way, so I had continuing water coming out of the dual sink lines from the vanity. Now I had to tell her, I'm going to shut off the hot water in 5 minutes and to save some water in a bucket incase you need it.

I'm down in the basement and all I hear is Mark, Mark. Went upstairs to find her standing w/her arms folded over her chest and her butt up against the kitchen sink. She says to me, "you shut off the water before I could grab any". I said "what", I haven't shut off the hot water yet. She says "well you can very well see that I have the faucet open and there's no water coming out". I looked past her and this was a single handle faucet, which was pushed up in the open position, but in the cold water spot. I chuckled and told her to move the handle to the left, she does this and the water starts to run. She says "oh my, I thought that when you push the handle the water would automatically start to come out, because its only a one handle faucet. I was chuckling to myself for the rest of the day, yep she was a true blond.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: True Blond/and faucet

it's not just blonds

very often i will have the hot off and ask the homeowner not to turn on a single handle faucet while i have the hot off. the water will mix if they don't turn it all he way to the cold side.

try to explain to the customer that if they cooperate, you won't have to shut off all the water.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

try to explain to the customer that "THEY" flooded their house by mixing with the faucet. I find it`s always best to just shut down the water main and not have the problems
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        try to explain to the customer that "THEY" flooded their house by mixing with the faucet. I find it`s always best to just shut down the water main and not have the problems
        OOOOHHHH YEAH!
        Nothing as fun as waiting for the cold feed to a water heater to finally dry...you light up with solder in hand, just then the 12 yr old just home from school opens the single handle lav.
        I just shut it all down, they expect that when a plumbers there.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          OOOOHHHH YEAH!
          Nothing as fun as waiting for the cold feed to a water heater to finally dry...you light up with solder in hand, just then the 12 yr old just home from school opens the single handle lav.
          maybe i go that extra step so that i don't have to shut the water to the house. in a large building it's tuff to get them to all cooperate. if it's a hot pipe, then i shut the hot. if it's a cold main then they are out of luck. the good thing is with propress, i can be working while it's still running or dripping. so water is not an issue

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Thats the way i look at it

A few weeks a go I had a kid flush on me while I was in the basement with the 4" main wide open. I yelled up to them to stop flushing the W/C and when the home owner came down to find out what had happen I told her that her kid flushed. She said "I forgot to tell em when they got home...sorry ooop`s"
            I then told her she might get her phone book out and find someone to clean her floor as it was not anything I did to flood her basement with sewage. She kept saying sorry, I`m really sorry....lol

Comment

shutting off the water would still have allowed the kid to flush. unless it was a flushometer valve on the toilet.

this happens to me all the time i'm installing a clean out in the main. i tell them not to flush and it happens 75% of the time. i guess unless you tape down the toilet seat with a note on it. people are going to forget and a normal habit of flushing is a hard to break.

typically on a water heater i will just connect the hot and cold together with a flex till i'm ready to reconnect. on a sewer or such in a basement , i will have that emergency 5 gallon bucket handy.

i might even use a jim cap or test weenie if i thought it would be an issue. every situation is different and we need to size up the job and occupants to make sure things go smooth, dry and clean

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

When I shut off the water, I flush the W/C`s so there is no chance to get flushed on
                I also always have the 5 gallon bucket handy. If I`m working overhead I make em leave the house till I`m done

Comment

Working...
                X