Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Setting a ladder on a garage roof

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    $750 per day isn't that bad. Think of what it would have cost if you had fallen off a ladder or such.
    No, but I wouldn't call in the big guns unless/until I had to...
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
      No, but I wouldn't call in the big guns unless/until I had to...
      you could have just used a 60' extension ladder. that was some serious overkill and wasted money. i have 3 siding crews and some of the things that i see people do to set walls up or roofs by wasting so much money cracks me up because everyone makes it seem so much harder than it is. i.e. this thread about painting the rake board. that job is simple. and by the way .. that roof mate gable master in the first post is an excellent piece of equipment

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
        you could have just used a 60' extension ladder. that was some serious overkill and wasted money. i have 3 siding crews and some of the things that i see people do to set walls up or roofs by wasting so much money cracks me up because everyone makes it seem so much harder than it is. i.e. this thread about painting the rake board. that job is simple. and by the way .. that roof mate gable master in the first post is an excellent piece of equipment
        First of all I work by myself and just out of curiosity I wonder if you could raise a 40' (44' actually) ladder by yourself let alone a 60' extension. Oops oh yeah right I forgot of course you could, right?

I did pretty damn good to get done what I did by myself using only ladders - would of had it if it was summer time when this happened...

We also would have called a siding crew if there were any available at the time... I hate doing siding, I think it's a job for pussies - oops, my bad, now I'm being rude...

Discussed this with the strata, management etc. and decided to go the man lift route because that was the safest way to go.

By the way the roof mate gable master looked good to me too but it's probably more expense then a typical DIY'er would like to spend.
        That's why I suggested normal roof jacks with a platform - economics.

I too think a man lift is overkill for painting the rake or fascia boards on a two storey house but I wouldn't be ignorant like you about it... instead I thought I would suggest another way...

I just love it when guys like you snipe at these threads - kinda like the little dog syndrome to me. You ever answer anybodys question with practical advice? Or do you just sit and snipe to make yourself look and feel better?

Have a nice day - a**h*l*
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

[quote=jbergstrom;90171]First of all I work by myself and just out of curiosity I wonder if you could raise a 40' (44' actually) ladder by yourself let alone a 60' extension. Oops oh yeah right I forgot of course you could, right?[quote]

actually i can raise a 40' er by myself. and no i cant raise a 60'er by myself, but if you work alone you could have hired someone for the day, sure beats $750 for a lift

[quote]I did pretty damn good to get done what I did by myself using only ladders - would of had it if it was summer time when this happened...[quote]

that sentence doesnt make much sense.

[quote]We also would have called a siding crew if there were any available at the time... I hate doing siding, I think it's a job for pussies - oops, my bad, now I'm being rude...[quote]

they would have done it off ladders, looks like your the *****.
          you said ''we'' i thought you worked by yourself

[quote]I too think a man lift is overkill for painting the rake or fascia boards on a two storey house but I wouldn't be ignorant like you about it... instead I thought I would suggest another way...[quote]

you spelled story wrong...

I just love it when guys like you snipe at these threads - kinda like the little dog syndrome to me. You ever answer anybodys question with practical advice? Or do you just sit and snipe to make yourself look and feel better?

Have a nice day - a**h*l*
          i feel great and i will have a nice day after reading this post

Comment

This is getting old real fast...

40' (44') by yourself, check - that's about as big as I can tackle alone too...
            I've covered why the lift and the general consensus is people would use one for 20' or 30' let alone 50' or 60'...

The reason I mention summer you should already know if you're a siding guy...
            Vinyl expands and contracts, so in the middle of winter when 20 courses or so of siding get blown off you would have a heck of a time meeting the existing siding above...(siding was put on in summer). 20 x even 1/16" shorter or so on each piece means you finish about an inch short of meeting the existing stuff above. If it was summer it would have met, no problem. You should know that.

"We" are you that petty? The "we" simply means my wife and I, she is the property manager here where we live.... (btw she's 5'0'' and incapable of helping raise ladders or doing siding in case you suggest that)

"storey" you better check your dictionary....

You didn't answer the question... have you ever given helpful or constructive advice, or are you just an arrogant sniper with little dog syndrome who thinks "storey" is wrong?

Ciao for now
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------

Comment

A storey (also spelled story[1]), floor, deck or level is the level of a building above (or below) the ground.

ok guys lighten up a little. Be
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

staab29 the reason people were suggesting the lift was that there are a lot of us that work safe so we can work another day .i would rather be safe then have an ego about how good you are .I'd rather tell some one how to do some thing safe then to tell them to use a 60' ladder and have them post that there back was injured,
                and like jbergstrom said no one likes the little dog syndrome ,thats a person that will not help the people that has nothing good to help others .so try saying something to help and how some one is wasting $ because you would not .
                i have seen more little contractors that work on houses do things unsafe because they think they do not have to do things OHSA's way .
                so what we are saying is do not come across a pro and knock the way others would do things
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Greetings all,

I think we all agree that the roof jacks are the best solution to the problem presented. My question has to do with terminology. To me a ridge board is a member of a " hand cut", as opposed to Truss, roof frame which falls at the peak of a gable end roof between the upper ends of rafters. Looking forward to your comments.

Comment

Working...
                  X