X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting a ladder on a garage roof

I need to do this: Paint Ridge Board but it appears OSHA would not approve of the self leveling extension ladder I was thinking of buying.

I found these but seem pricey and small platform

How is this done safely?

Also... If your screw something in the roof through the shingles how do you seal the hole up again? In that roofmate it looks like they put two nails uner the lifted shingles. I'm not sure I would trust that.

If I built a platform to match the slope of the roof out of plywood and 2x4s to set the ladder on, how big would you make it? How would you secure it?

Re: Setting a ladder on a garage roof

Hmmmm, am I being asked to invent something, for free
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by rick-l View Post

If I built a platform to match the slope of the roof out of plywood and 2x4s to set the ladder on, how big would you make it? How would you secure it?
      It would depend on how much of the ridge board you wanted to paint...Is this project for you or employees?
      Personally, I'd paint it from above. But that's just me. Why over-complicate things?
      ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
        It would depend on how much of the ridge board you wanted to paint...Is this project for you or employees?
        Personally, I'd paint it from above. But that's just me. Why over-complicate things?
        Because he is an Engineer?

True story:

Many many years ago I worked for an HVAC Company which also cleaned ducts and fireplaces. I got a call to go out to Andy Griffith's (Andy of Mayberry) home to give him an estimate to install 3-spark arrestors on his 3-chimneys. He lived in a large home in Studio City with some real scary roof heights and pitches. I explained to him exactly how I was going to do the job and I gave him the price I felt it was worth. He countered with saying I was way too expensive as it was only a roof and he sent me on my way.

The next day or two I heard on the radio he had fallen off of his roof and suffered a broken arm. I often wondered how much those spark arrestors really cost him. Sometimes you are better off leaving the tricky stuff to someone who knows how to do it.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I need to do this: Paint Ridge Board but it appears OSHA would not approve of the self leveling extension ladder I was thinking of buying.
          "Exceeds ANSI and OSHA requirements"

What part of the above statement on Werners' web page that you provided the link to does OSHA disagree with? Did someone from OSHA tell you this is not approved or did you find a ruling on their web site or in the Regs stating that ladders of this type are not approved for use in applications such as this? I could see where the add-on leg levelers might be disapproved, but I don't know about the ones built-in by the manufacturer.

Maybe you should call Werner (or OSHA) and let them know their ladder is not approved.

The GableMate looks like a good idea but to look at it its just got an unstable look to it. Maybe its just the dimensions of the thing but it needs a little more heft to it.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I build platforms which hooks over the peak, the other end which is built up to the height of the peak w/a 2"x4"x4' attached at bottom, so it will not flip over and has rubber grippers so it wouldn't try to slip. 2 supports at an angle which supports the built up end and the plat form (poor mans roof plank). Then I put my ladder on this. Or I build two towers of scaffolding, one on each side and run a 20-30ft x 2' wide Aluminum plank.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Also... If your screw something in the roof through the shingles how do you seal the hole up again? In that roofmate it looks like they put two nails uner the lifted shingles. I'm not sure I would trust that.

I would use a pair (or two or three) of regular roof jacks installed properly...
              That is find a truss or rafter then lift the flap of the shingle carefully and drive two or three nails or screws into that roof truss or rafter. Next put your plank (2x6, 2x8 etc.) in place across the jacks and fasten in place with screws. Most roof jacks have holes for nails or screws for the plank, if yours don't just drill some. When you're finished with the jacks I usually just leave the nails or screws in place (drive flush). If you're really paranoid you can put a dab of roofing sealant over the head of the nail or screw.

Once you jacks are in place it doesn't take much to knock together a triangular platform that matches your roof pitch. You can screw this temporarily to the plank. In the illustration I've added 2x4's around the top of the platform for safety.

Attachment

Hope this helps - Jim
              Attached Files
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Those were some scary pics on the OSHA site!!
                Never,Ever put your walkboard on a stepladder,especially when you're 25 ft off the ground!! GOOD GRIEF!! Cant get over that one!

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                  I would use a pair (or two or three) of regular roof jacks installed properly...
                  That is find a truss or rafter then lift the flap of the shingle carefully and drive two or three nails or screws into that roof truss or rafter. Next put your plank (2x6, 2x8 etc.) in place across the jacks and fasten in place with screws. Most roof jacks have holes for nails or screws for the plank, if yours don't just drill some. When you're finished with the jacks I usually just leave the nails or screws in place (drive flush). If you're really paranoid you can put a dab of roofing sealant over the head of the nail or screw.

Once you jacks are in place it doesn't take much to knock together a triangular platform that matches your roof pitch. You can screw this temporarily to the plank. In the illustration I've added 2x4's around the top of the platform for safety.

Attachment

Hope this helps - Jim
                  Thanks

Looks like the best plan yet. I never thought of roof jacks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    What part of the above statement on Werners' web page that you provided the link to does OSHA disagree with?
                    I was referring to my plan A (Paint Ridge Board ) which was put the ladder directly on the roof.

When I thought about it I wasn't comfortable doing it that way and did a google search for "ladder slope roof" when I stumbled across that OSHA picture.

Comment

i say go to a rental place and rent a boom lift with a basket on it and you can do all your high things off this and live to brag about the job you did .

you tow them with a car and put it any where you want ,its worth the $$$$$
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I think one of these from a good rental yard would serve your needs pretty well.

http://www.jlg.com/default.asp

Then look under products for the model T350
                        Info on it in a .PDF file - http://www.jlg.com/Products/PDF/TowPro_Bro3_D5.pdf

Now if money isn't a problem and the rental yard will bring it to you then go for this one and have more fun.
                        http://www.jlg.com/Products/PDF/400SerTele_SS_D8.pdf
                        Last edited by Woussko; 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

the t350 was the one i was talking about

the last one we just had one on a job that went 80 ft up and that was fun
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

We had some wind damage happen to one of our buildings this past winter, it blew quite a bit of siding off the elevator tower...
                            Attachment

I used roof jacks and my 30' ladder to replace as much as I could...
                            Attachment

I went as high as I could with the 30' ladder...
                            Attachment

Then I had to switch to my 40' ladder from the ground...
                            Attachment

I couldn't quite reach the top and because the original siding was put on in the summer I had to redo all the siding on the peak. That called for renting this 60' manlift...
                            Attachment

The manlift was very expensive - about $750.00 for the day. That was freight x2 ($120.00 + tax each way) and around $400.00 plus taxes for the lift, safety harness etc.
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers! - Jim
                            -------------
                            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

$750 per day isn't that bad. Think of what it would have cost if you had fallen off a ladder or such.

Comment

Working...
                              X