X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cinder Blocks of Basement Look Wet.

I have just started a basement and it is a cinderblock underground foundation. some parts of the walls seem to have water coming through the blocks. they do not feel wet but the clearly look wet. My question is that is there any precaution i can take before studing it out and hanging sheetrock to ensure that this does not become a mold disaster if infact water is seeping in
    RYan Varga

Re: cinder Blocks of Basement Look Wet.

You can use Dry Lock, but this will only give you around 10 yrs, stuff does work great. You can use a water channeling product all the way around your inside basement, but this won't stop mold. Your best alternative is to tackle the water problem from the outside, which can get expensive, when done correctly. You should find a G.C. in your area and get quotes, from more than 1 G.C.

I did do a job once, where we put Dry Lock on the walls (2 coats) and built the stud walls 1" away from the block walls. Plus we built the bottom of the wall on 1 1/2" green blocks, to allow air to try and circulate up and over into the floor system/ceiling. We had to leave a gap in the finished floor to continue this air cavity.The mop (base) board gave it a sort of hidden look or another line definition. Any cracks in the basement walls must be gouged out and filled in w/a decent product, I used a product called NP1 for that job. So far no call back.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Cant really be of a lot of help on this, but If the wall looks wet, it is wet. As Garager said, best to tackle it from the outside.

Also, garager mentioned a product called NP1, I am not sure if its readily available to the general public (meaning sold at DIY retailers), but if you can find it, its some good stuff. We use many cases of this weekly sealing roof curbs for Exhaust fans, AHU's etc.

Regards,

Comment

I've heard of a test for moisture intrusion through masonry using foil:
        • Take a square of aluminum foil about 8" x 8" and tape it over a spot where you suspect moisture.
        • Make sure the edges are sealed tight.
        • After a day or two peel back the foil.
        • If any moisture is moving through the wall it will condense on the foil and you will see water droplets.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have seen this in my own basement and it was caused by moisture condensing on the inside walls due to the cold AC at floor level

Comment

really... Well I just dont know what to do becuase i do not want to risk it and put up walls to get a call in 5 years saying why is my basement moldy
            RYan Varga

Comment

I had a similar problem many years ago. I applied 2 coats of Thompson's Water seal to the inside then furred out about 3/4" before attaching the dry wall, leaving an air gap between the CMU and the dry wall. The real solution was to put a drain outside the wall but I couldn't afford it. Besides I suspected condensation from inside. At any rate, there was never a problem so I assume the furring strips worked.

Good luck.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X