green board vs cement board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: green board vs cement board

Im not a GC but im the guy that works for the gc.Last time i did a bathroom,i told the homeowner on the side, to make sure we used cement board.They had to convince my boss,to use it.He wanted to use green board.
    Years later the home owner saw me on beale st. bought me a beer and thanked me. One of their friends had green board .They had to pay to have it done again 4 or 5 years later. Like My dad use to say ,do it right or just don't do it at all.I went to work for someone else soon after.
    If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

I'm using something called DensShield on the shower I'm building. The drywall that was there (greenboard?) had completely failed. It pretty much dissolved away in places.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4684

That's the stuff I'm using. Here's hoping it lasts...

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
        I'm using something called DensShield on the shower I'm building. The drywall that was there (greenboard?) had completely failed. It pretty much dissolved away in places.

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4684

That's the stuff I'm using. Here's hoping it lasts...
        I have used it also, on a few jobs. Decent product, and I will use it again....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Behind tiles, marble, stone: 15# felt first, then Cement Board or Hardi Backer Board.

Any wall or ceilings in high humidity areas (Bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, etc.): Denshield or Dens Armor Plus , the only hassle with these boards is they need to be fully skim coated for a smooth wall finish, otherwise the fiber texture shows when only primed & painted.

Tracy

Comment

Alright guys, I am a weekend warrior. Had to rebuild my sons bathroom. Tiled the bathtub/shower and floor. Home Depot had 2 stacks, one said Hardi backer the other said cement board. Had 2 different boxes of screws to go with them. They told me I had to use HB and HB screws for a bathroom and not the cement board and its screws. Whats the difference? Oh, and they were the same price, so that was not the reason for them telling me which to use.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I think that the most obvious difference is that cement board isn't at all easy for a weekend warrior to work with. It's pretty much what it sounds like. A sheet of cement. So you can't just score and snap it like you can with other tile backers.

I don't know what HardiBoard is. Is that similar to DensShield?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                I think that the most obvious difference is that cement board isn't at all easy for a weekend warrior to work with. It's pretty much what it sounds like. A sheet of cement. So you can't just score and snap it like you can with other tile backers.

I don't know what HardiBoard is. Is that similar to DensShield?
                No HardiBoard is a cement backer board made by Hardi.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Well, I must say in my humble opinion, ther is ALOT of good info here.

That being said, I use 1/4" ply over the studs, Bitchethane over that , so when I screw the cement board, either Hardi or Cement, doesn't matter, with their respective fasteners, it seals the holes. Over the cement board is a skim coat of UNmodified thinset, into which I embed Schluter Ditra Vapor Barrier, then a coat of Latex MODIFIED thinset into which the tiles are set. Then a Modified, unsanded grout, which will remain somewhat flexible over its lifetime and is less prone to cracking due to settling. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeConCo View Post
                    Well, I must say in my humble opinion, ther is ALOT of good info here.

That being said, I use 1/4" ply over the studs, Bitchethane over that , so when I screw the cement board, either Hardi or Cement, doesn't matter, with their respective fasteners, it seals the holes. Over the cement board is a skim coat of UNmodified thinset, into which I embed Schluter Ditra Vapor Barrier, then a coat of Latex MODIFIED thinset into which the tiles are set. Then a Modified, unsanded grout, which will remain somewhat flexible over its lifetime and is less prone to cracking due to settling. Just my two cents worth.
                    Here's a guy that does a lot of tile, and does it right. I think he is related to Mike Holmes.
                    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Odd. The reason we don't suggest greenboard is always lost on the "pros" and confuses the DIY'ers.... the primary reason not to use the board is NOT because it retains moisture. It only retains if moisture penetrates the surface barrier which is unlikely if the proper fasteners are used, the plasticized surface is compromised, or the edges or joints are properly sealed. No the primary reason is the surface adhesion of the plasticizer is poor relative to cement board or regular drywall. This causes installations that can move or creep with thermal cycles to release the thinset, allowing a gap between the tile and the board when the poorly applied or improper grout is used or not maintained - water has to enter through poor grout seals. The water then traps between the tiles and board - and moisture penetrates tiles from the unglazed side. Simple problem that grows mold and makes things worse. Look at homes built in the 60's and 70's. Only those with cruddy grout or damage or shoddy wall/frame work behin exhibit mold and rot problems. No, green board shouldn't be used, but if you are remodeling or repairing, a well prepared regular drywall will work just fine. Think about it... the surrounding tiles have been in place for decades - they aren't falling off. The problem with most materials is the "pros" do not follow the maunfacturers specs, dont seal edge joints or laps properly, and don't use paper or underlayment as recommended. "takes too long", "costs too much". As an engineer of materials I have heard all the excuses. Don't let anyone confuse you about greenboard - if you use the right papers or isolation membranes with the recommended adhesives and a good quality grout, and you've followed good practuce of materials stabilizing on the jobsite, you will have good results. Our industry has suffered because we have too many "pros" that think their mastic, fasteners, membranes and adhesives are ok for the job. Anyone got a ladder so I can get off this pedestal?!

Comment

Thats a crock, blame it on the worker/business owner/pro's. as always. What about the house shifting (old homes), gee can that damage a mans job? Or how about shrinkage/settling or vibration from a 300lb man running and jumping. Or how about an irate person pounding on the wall, because his warm water went cold all of a sudden or kids bashing on the walls, which all of these situations can break a water seal.

I have torn out many, many walls due to lots of moisture. I'm sure a few were from improper installation, but I'm also sure there is H.O.'s abuse and no maintenance performed, when there needs to be.

This isn't only tiled walls I'm referring to. I do as much as I can to make my work right and safe. I also know many other contractors that do the same, it's called pride in our work. The ones that usually botch the stuff/jobs up are hacks and H.O.'s. "Paper cost too much and the time to install it", wrong!!!!!

For a man who has 2 posts in here and basically attacks the construction business owners/pro's., this pissed me off, especially coming from an engineer. Do you got a problem with us, because I never had one with you or with any engineer and I have seen some faulty designed products in my time.

We do everything in our knowledge to water proof everything from the roof down, with the materials that we can use (designed by engineers). What about the H.O.'s that refuse to spend more dollars to tighten it up even more so. Do I walk away from a job, because the H.O won't listen to me, no I won't, but I will still go that extra mile to ensure a proper job, not just an adequate job.

I am a Pro and been in this line of work for 28 yrs, you are an Engineer. Go slander the hacks and H.O.'s, they're the ones that screws up 90% of the jobs or more.

So the Pro's are lost and the H.O's are just confused eh. Thanks for saying I don't know sh!t and your so damn much better. You got any idea how many different types of materials I need to know about, or how I have to run a crew or the subs and make sure that they are doing everything according to codes or the way I like it, above codes. Do you realize I must take many continuing education courses every single year or to take new courses to better myself to understand new materials and technology.

Do you also realize I must take full responsibility for all builds for a minimum 10 yrs, or min. 1 yr on all materials and 2 yrs on all mechanical. Gee whiz, does this sound as if I'm lost or don't know what I'm doing. Why don't you get out there and teach us/me how to perform my work.

I have much respect for Engineers, but you pissed me off. There are many ways water can travel and do damage to a mans work. And I highly doubt that a "pro's" work is the cause of future water problems/damage in walls. Materials are made to last so long and to take a certain amount of abuse, think about this when your kid is taking a bath and slamming his tonka truck into your bathroom wall....

I'm done w/my ranting......... And I sure hope this is all just a miss understanding.....................
                        Last edited by garager; 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yep, makes a comment and never comes back. I was looking for a debate here and didn't get one..........

Well actually no debate here, I'm right he's wrong....

Comment

I did a shower some 6 years ago and at that time I saw no adverse opinions to using green board. was using green board at that time being negligent to my client?

Comment

Originally posted by My Handyman View Post
                              I did a shower some 6 years ago and at that time I saw no adverse opinions to using green board. was using green board at that time being negligent to my client?
                              Yes some of the worst green board showers in the Country are in Las Vegas and it has been know for many years.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What is Bitchethane?

I don't think I saw Mike Holmes use "Bitchethane" (which by the way Mike Holmes is Canadian and I have watched all his episodes...maybe I missed one?)

Comment

Working...
                                X