Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: green board vs cement board

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
    What is Bitchethane?

I don't think I saw Mike Holmes use "Bitchethane" (which by the way Mike Holmes is Canadian and I have watched all his episodes...maybe I missed one?)
    Bitchethane is that expensive black waterproofing stuff most guys are too cheap to properly use. It comes in sheets or rolls and is self-adhesive on one side.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Oh, OK, so "Bitchethane" is kind of like that "Ice and Water" material that we use on the edge of roofs when re-shingling. You peel back the white plastic to expose the sticky tar like adhesive/sealing side. I've used that (on roofs) just never heard it called "Bitchethane".

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
        What is Bitchethane?

I don't think I saw Mike Holmes use "Bitchethane" (which by the way Mike Holmes is Canadian and I have watched all his episodes...maybe I missed one?)
        Ice and water shield used for roofing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Bitchethane is that expensive black waterproofing stuff most guys are too cheap to properly use. It comes in sheets or rolls and is self-adhesive on one side.

Mark

I agree with your statement here, Mark. This separates the boys from the men. Shower pans have been made with this for years, but the cost of the material isn't that bad, most guys just don't know about it or they don't know how to mold it and not botch the job up.........
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

The Ice and Water shield used for roofing is expensive, but it is worth it. It's $60 CAN for a 36" x 60 foot roll. Not too bad and its a great product for roof eaves under the first few rows of shingles (beats tar paper 100%, because nails get sealed).

Comment

Most of the homes I inspect with failing green board are large tracts of homes. They generally will have fiberglass pans and green board used as backer board. They have made the mold remediation companies a lot of money.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

FYI you can get small rolls of Bitchethan 4" or 6" wide rolls used in rubber roofing thats prety thick. alot thicker than ice and water shield for short money. this way you wont have alot of waist and you wont have to lug around a 3' 100Lb roll around with you LOL. they also make Aluminum faced Bitchethane tape now as well. i think thats 3 " wide

AHH heres the stuff http://www.cofair.com/roof.aspx

And http://www.cofair.com/sheathingtape.aspx
                Last edited by Arthur96; 05-02-2009, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I use Hardi from time to time but have come to like the Fiberock by USG. It tends to be more uniform than the Hardi (hardi seems to have a "wave" to it, and have noticed that the corners are almost always not be flat). The Fiberock is a cement based backer and it is always flat, never wavy and it also is a true 1/2" thick unlike most Hardi that I have gotten that usually is closer to 7/16" thick.

I have used the Schluter stuff, and I tell ya, its alot of work. I would probably use it more, if people were willing to pay that sorta dough around here, but not very likely with the stuff I usually do.

I really wanted to try an idea I had for a "bomb" proof shower, but the cost as of this moment is not cost effective. I wanted to frame a shower and line it with 3/8" plywood, and use something like a Noble Pre-slope form on the floor. Then have 1/4" of a sprayed polyurea coating. This stuff is used for pond liners and some guys use it for horse stalls as well. It will stretch 500% of its solid state and will NOT leak. After its sprayed, scuff the surface with 80 grit sandpaper and then used a good quality thinset and you should be good to go. BUT, I priced it out with a guy from my church that sprays this stuff, and it would cost near $4k for a 3x4 shower!!!

Anyway, what do you guys use for fastenters for the cement board? I have used the screws, but also have used galvanzed roofing nails with a roofing nailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                    I use Hardi from time to time but have come to like the Fiberock by USG. It tends to be more uniform than the Hardi (hardi seems to have a "wave" to it, and have noticed that the corners are almost always not be flat). The Fiberock is a cement based backer and it is always flat, never wavy and it also is a true 1/2" thick unlike most Hardi that I have gotten that usually is closer to 7/16" thick.

I have used the Schluter stuff, and I tell ya, its alot of work. I would probably use it more, if people were willing to pay that sorta dough around here, but not very likely with the stuff I usually do.

I really wanted to try an idea I had for a "bomb" proof shower, but the cost as of this moment is not cost effective. I wanted to frame a shower and line it with 3/8" plywood, and use something like a Noble Pre-slope form on the floor. Then have 1/4" of a sprayed polyurea coating. This stuff is used for pond liners and some guys use it for horse stalls as well. It will stretch 500% of its solid state and will NOT leak. After its sprayed, scuff the surface with 80 grit sandpaper and then used a good quality thinset and you should be good to go. BUT, I priced it out with a guy from my church that sprays this stuff, and it would cost near $4k for a 3x4 shower!!!

Anyway, what do you guys use for fastenters for the cement board? I have used the screws, but also have used galvanzed roofing nails with a roofing nailer.

I like permabase if i cant find any in the thickness i want ill go with durock or wonderboard. i dont like the hardi stuff all that much i duno why i just rather stay with something "Cementy".

I use the screws with either a hammerdrill or impact driver they go in much better that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X