X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green board vs cement board

When doing a shower or tub with tile, which should you use? My understanding is that green board is great for humid areas like a bathroom but shouldn't be used in the tub or shower. What's right?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: green board vs cement board

How many pictures of failed greenboard showers would you like me to send you. I literally have thousands plus just as many of the resultant mold remediation. Most greenboard manufacturers now state the greenboard should not be used as tile substrate for bathrooms.

I don't care what you do water always seems to get behind tile in a shower. The plumber won't seal his penetrations with putty or the building will settle a little and you get a small seperation. With cement board it gets wet then you find the problem and the cement board dries out. With greenboard it gets wet and then you tear the shower out and redo it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We never use green board any more, period. It has been proven that it retains water which promotes mold, so building inspector says, no more. Hardy backer board is pretty much all I ever use now. A cement board of any brand just about will be sufficient behind the tiles, above tiles, go back to wallboard.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

use concrete board, unless you want to tear it out in 5 years

Comment

Unfortunately, gc's want to save money and install the cheap greenboard. Faster installation....and has an even quicker deterioration.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Engineer View Post
            Unfortunately, gc's want to save money and install the cheap greenboard. Faster installation....and has an even quicker deterioration.
            Excuse me , I'm a G.C. and I don't do what your saying. Maybe you should have said something in the line of, "I know of one G.C. that"..... I have been in Business for quite a while and I do not take people to the cleaners .......

Rephrase your statement please........... That would be nice.............
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I'm a G.C. and I float or Hardi bd. Go green bd ? that's nuts
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                How many pictures of failed greenboard showers would you like me to send you. I literally have thousands plus just as many of the resultant mold remediation. Most greenboard manufacturers now state the greenboard should not be used as tile substrate for bathrooms.

I don't care what you do water always seems to get behind tile in a shower. The plumber won't seal his penetrations with putty or the building will settle a little and you get a small seperation. With cement board it gets wet then you find the problem and the cement board dries out. With greenboard it gets wet and then you tear the shower out and redo it.

Mark

I never could understand why someone would spend several thousand dollars to install a new bathroom then cut corners using garbage for the walls?

Bathrooms especially where there is a shower is notorious for moisture so why not go cement board for the entire room?

Less chance of mold damage and like you said once it gets wet it will dry out green board call a dumpster

Labor normally cost more then materials do the job right and charge accordingly

Comment

Who in the heck is still using Green Board anymore, I keep hearing that people are still installing them. I don't know of one person, that has used Green Board in over 10 years. I don't know of one Contractor that has used Green Board in that many years also. Its been somewhere around 15 yrs for me.

Studies were telling us to use this product many years back and Building Inspectors were telling us to install Green Board around tubs and shower stalls. It didn't take long to figure out, they were all wrong and we went to alternative materials or stay w/your everyday wallboard.

Now if there are people still out there installing Green Boards, then they are idiots. Funny thing is, your local Big Boxes are still trying to promote this product, so go blame them, for even mentioning it........

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                    Who in the heck is still using Green Board anymore, I keep hearing that people are still installing them. I don't know of one person, that has used Green Board in over 10 years. I don't know of one Contractor that has used Green Board in that many years also. Its been somewhere around 15 yrs for me.

Studies were telling us to use this product many years back and Building Inspectors were telling us to install Green Board around tubs and shower stalls. It didn't take long to figure out, they were all wrong and we went to alternative materials or stay w/your everyday wallboard.

Now if there are people still out there installing Green Boards, then they are idiots. Funny thing is, your local Big Boxes are still trying to promote this product, so go blame them, for even mentioning it........
                    I did a couple of cases which involved over 1,100 homes all using green board as the tile substrate. It was some of the worst failures I have ever seen and some owners had not been able to use their showers in years.

Mark

Comment

I don't doubt that one bit, Mark. What were the ages of these homes? And what were we suppose to do 15-20yrs ago, when the Building Inspectors we're telling us to put this in. Something like this, is tough to take the responsibility for. When a product is approved to be used in an environment such as a bathroom, is this the G.C.'s fault, no. But when its a proven failure and they keep on using this product, you bet your @ss, its the G.C.'s responsibility.

I have known for a long time Green Board is a failure of a product, this is why its hard for me to comprehend any G.C.'s to still be using the product. I can understand a H.O. installing it, because the stores are still trying to push it.

But to get back to the original statement, I will have to say. Not all General Contractors use this board and thus, is why I wanted that statement retracted. And that would be the proper thing to do.......

Mark (Garager)

Comment

In your opinion in the areas outside of the tile area of a shower, is regular sheetrock beter or worse to use than greenboard?

there is no direct water hitting in that area but there could be higher humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                          I don't doubt that one bit, Mark. What were the ages of these homes? And what were we suppose to do 15-20yrs ago, when the Building Inspectors we're telling us to put this in. Something like this, is tough to take the responsibility for. When a product is approved to be used in an environment such as a bathroom, is this the G.C.'s fault, no. But when its a proven failure and they keep on using this product, you bet your @ss, its the G.C.'s responsibility.

I have known for a long time Green Board is a failure of a product, this is why its hard for me to comprehend any G.C.'s to still be using the product. I can understand a H.O. installing it, because the stores are still trying to push it.

But to get back to the original statement, I will have to say. Not all General Contractors use this board and thus, is why I wanted that statement retracted. And that would be the proper thing to do.......

Mark (Garager)
                          These homes were built between 1996 and 2000 and I was hired in 2001.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by franklie View Post
                            In your opinion in the areas outside of the tile area of a shower, is regular sheetrock beter or worse to use than greenboard?

there is no direct water hitting in that area but there could be higher humidity.
                            There is nothing wrong with Green Board when installed as it was meant to be. The problem is when it is improperly used as a tile substrate.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              There is nothing wrong with Green Board when installed as it was meant to be. The problem is when it is improperly used as a tile substrate.

Mark
                              Agree 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X