X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos Shingle Siding

An individual wants me to repair some water damage on her house. The house is 50 - 60 years old and has asbestos shingle siding, some of which will have to be removed to do the repair. If I am careful, I can probably remove most with no damage, but doubtlessly one or two will get broken and a couple are already missing. Do any firms manufacture non-asbestos replacements for these old shingles? What I am looking for is 12X24" with a wood-grain vertical embossed texture. I know that Hardie makes a slightly similar shingle-style panel, but it is too different in appearance and thickness to use for this application. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Re: Asbestos Shingle Siding

You need to find a restoration business in your area and talk to them. All of the G.C.'s around here, hangs on to that stuff and we refuse to sell or give. There are a lot of homes in our area that have put on those shingles. So having those shingles on hand can just about guarantee you a job that comes up w/the need for those siding repairs. Especially when there are new doors and window installation. Amazing that our landfill still takes these too. As long as there are in a plastic bag, they'll accept them, but you must tell them whats in the bag.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Re: Asbestos Shingle Siding

Thiggy,
      I have some styles of these Asbestos siding panels stashed away that I have saved through out my years.
      Most of mine are something like 24" x 12"
      Replacing them can be somewhat of a challenge. They can break as easy as an old clay dish. (I also do this with ceder)
      I like to use a sawzall with a long fine tooth BI-METAL Blade and bend it to about a 30* angle to slide in and under to cut the nails. Then you can carefully work them out.
      You can then get the saw, to the remaining nail stub's so your replacement siding will slip right up in.
      You might wanna predrill and face nail to finish the job.

Works for me hope this helps!
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Be safe out there folks
      Bob B
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
      X