Residental Building/Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residental Building/Books

Lets talk shop, I have been doing everything in residential since I was 18, now I'm 45. I have built the homes from floor to roof. I have done everything but Masonry work (small cement work, ya) and no Telephone and Electronic Services and I have never done Excavation either. Helped pour slabs a couple of times, but no block work.

Lets see, I have done Doors, Windows, Skylights, Staircases, Flooring, Tiling, Roofing, Trim Work, Painting, Siding, Electrical, Plumbing, Heating and A/c, you name it. I even had a Low Pressure Boiler License for 4 yrs or so. I have been through so many brand names and different materials and done every style of roofs that there are.

What I'm getting at is, I have seen a lot during my time in Construction. Most of the time I will try to do all the work myself (company), with exceptions for the work that I do not perform, as stated up above. I do try to stay up on all codes, but its too hard to read this stuff and remember what you read a year ago or 2. So I keep my code book and building books in my Office/work trailer. Well one day last year I was building a very nice home about 75 miles from here, further North.

The home owner goes into my trailer (which was OK by me) and see's my books. Later that day, he questions me about my ability to build an entire house. So after 10 minute of talking, I asked him, "well whats with all this talk about my abilities".

He saw my books and got paranoid. I said to him, "look man we went through everything before we started and you said great". He's seen pictures, called references, he listened to me talk house building. So then I asked him if he was disappointed so far, and "no" was his answer.

When the job was finally done, we sat down and had some beers and just reminisced about the whole house project. Finally he says to me "not once did I see you look at those books, so why do you have them in the trailer"? I said "for looks I guess".

Actually I do (did) go back and look at a few things, mostly codes.

Do you guys carry around your code books and or building books. Also how often do you pick them up and read them. I love to look and read about house building. From the rough framing to the finishing.

Its amazing what little things that are in these books that I have forgotten or just didn't think about. But if I do ever find myself questioning something that I don't think is right or looks wrong, I hit those books right away. So even a seasoned builder can have a memory laps... Sorry this was long, but I'm bored and it rained again all day....

Also what kind of books do you have? My 2 favorite books are,

Glencoe Carpentry & Building Construction by Mark & John Feirer
    Graphic Guide To Frame Construction by Rob Thallon

These are great books, if you think you got a better one let me know.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Residental Building/Books

The complete International Code Council series is actually a series of different volumes and the only books I need. Well, actually I use the DVD/CD versions installed on my comuter at the office and the machines at home, laptop etc.

The ICC covers it all and is used by almost every state/major city with their own revisions added. however you sometimes(most all of the time) have to keep older versions (they come in 3 year cycles) because some municipalities (sp) have not adopted the latest versions yet and also may have their own rules.

The Volumes include:
    1. international building code
    2. international residential code
    3. intl. existing bldg. code
    4. intl. fire code
    5. intl. mech. code
    6. intl. plbg. code
    7. intl. fuel gas code
    8. intl. property maint.
    9. intl energy conservation
    10. intl. zoning code
    11. intl. private sewage disposal code
    12. intl. urban wildlife interface code
    13. ICC electrical code (Not the NEC) so pretty much useless in most areas.
    14. intl. performance code for buildings and facilities.
    Regards,
    Last edited by biscuit; 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
      Also what kind of books do you have? My 2 favorite books are, Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi and The Gas We Pass by Shinta Cho

I have International Plumbing and Mechanical Code 2003 Commentary. Sometimes I can't wrap my head around some codes so the commentary helps me out.

I peek at the IPC maybe once a week. The IMC hardly ever. No mechanical inspections required here.

CABO 1 and 2 Family Dwelling 1998 edition...maybe I need to update that

Comment

Biscuit can you burn me a copy of that DVD?

That's a nice collection

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Biscuit can you burn me a copy of that DVD?

That's a nice collection
          Well I could use one too..........

Hey Crack, Everyone Poops and The gas we Pass, Originally Quoted by Garager , ummmm I'll come up w/one on you later , just you wait and see .
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I would think seeing code books is normal. I would think great he is up to date on current codes.

I would only worry if you had a shelf full of "How to. . . " books.

Crack, I have to admit after I laughed, you made me look at Garager's original post (thought I missed it on the first read)

Joey
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I carry my UPC, I have 2002, 2003 and 2006, I also carry a UPC Illustrated Training Manuel, which isn't what it sounds like, it is a very indepth illustrated version of the UPC. Excellent books, I don't mind my customers looking at the books, maybe then they will realize plumbing is more then just crap goes down hill and payday is on friday.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                I would only worry if you had a shelf full of "How to. . . " books.
                Joey, I carry these books around for the guys to help learn up on, without having to spend $40.00-$60.00 themselves. Sometimes we go over the stuff together at break time or during lunch, sitting around killing time sort of speak. Having an illustration/picture can get them to understand a whole lot quicker of how things are done. Code books are a must on the job sites, I think we're all in agreement on this one............

Comment

Working...
                X