Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here using "easymat" instead of 1/4" backer-board?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here using "easymat" instead of 1/4" backer-board?

I am in the process of installing granite tile in my kitchen. I have removed the old Formica counters..I was really shocked to fine one 24"x48" counter held down with only two 1 1/4" drywall screws...On the other hand, removal was a snap!

I am installing new 3/4" cdx plywood as the base. Instead of backer-board, or cement board, or wonder board...or whatever else it's called, I'm using "easymat"

I am impressed with this stuff. You prime the plywood with the enclosed primer. About 45 minutes later you roll this stuff out and you're ready to tile!

I do have a question....

What do I do with the edges? Do I leave the exposed wood and back butter the granite edge? Or, do I cut a strip of the easymat and apply it correctly and then back butter the edge pieces?

I sent the Manufacture the same question, but if anyone here has experience with this product your reply may be faster.

I purchased this stuff at Home Depot.

Thanks

Cactus Man

Re: Anyone here using "easymat" instead of 1/4" backer-board?

If it was me I would not apply the tile directly to the plywood edges. Too much potential for the expansion/contraction of the wood to cause the tile to pop off. Seen it happen a lot of times. I don't have any experience with the easymat product you discuss, but would assume having something between the tile and the wood would be better than nothing.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I would think anything you could do to improve adhesion on the edge of CDX would not be a wasted effort, however I am no expert in this area.

Go

Def: Expert: Derived from "ex" which means has been, and "spert" which phonetically means a drip under pressure.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

An update for those of you in the peanut gallery:

I spoke with tech support and they said "yes, by all means apply easymat to the plywood edges. Do not try to roll the easymat over the edge, it won't hold. Instead cut a piece slightly less than the plywood 23/32 and apply primer and secure the easymat etc."

I cut a slice of easymat slightly wider than 1/2" [16/32] applied primer and stuck the easymat to the edges per their instructions.

They also suggested to ensure a good corner edge to use some of the fiberglass dry wall tape and embed it into the mortar as you work the edge, then tile as usual.

I will be continuing the tile project

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks for the info

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
          X