Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installing toilet in cement floor

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
    For a project that small I think a jack hammer might be a bit overkill and potentially difficult to control for someone with no experience with one. Might end up causing more damage than good. A good mid range rotary hammer with chipping function or dedicated demolition hammer will get the job done just fine even it it takes a bit longer. It will give a very high measure of control over where to break or not. Definately get at least a bull point and flat chisel no bigger than maybe about 1" wide. Anything too wide will just cause the impact energy to dissipate along the bigger surface and will only make a lot of noise with little effect on a poured slab. Use the bullnose to loosen up excessively hard parts and as explained, breaking holes in a line. Beware the bullnose offers little control over what breaks. It just cracks everything around. The flat chisel allows for precise control and scooping out chunks. Use it to cut clean lines like the sides or clean off the bottom.

Using a saw with a diamond blade will give a clean line to patch up later and ease up the breaking a bit but beware it will kick up a cloud of dust like you wouldn't believe. You need to cover up the area 100% airtight. Even with a mask indoors the dust will get to intense you'll need to leave the room if not using water on the blade. Take proper precautions or otherwise just skip it, it helps but it's not necessary.
    I note that your occupation is "space cadet". Your post shows. A rotohammer? Stick to space walks.
    the dog

Comment

Re: Installing toilet in cement floor

Yes, as in a rotohammer with chipping function, like most have, sort of self explanatory. I'm sure if you're not familiar with the tool then a quick search would easily clear that up. I'm a space cadet, because in an open forum where you can put whatever you please as your ocupation, it must give anyone all the credibility in the world, therefore I must really be a space man
      Last edited by Velosapien; 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X