X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat's off to the professionals!!!!

I have begun the kitchen counter project. I am removing the Formica and installing granite tile.

Today I tiled a 24x48 counter area. 3 hours later and I'm exhausted! This includes set up to clean up! I already installed the 3/4 plywood and easymat. This was time spent installing the tile which I did dry fit and number.

Watching the quality home DYI programs it always seems so simple. I always forget that the 30 minute show does not include set up, clean up, out takes, errors, and real time etc.

I have a sincere appreciation for those of you who do this stuff for a livelihood. I have a bad back and thus limited in how much work I can do and how long I can work..For example for every 30 minutes I end up on the floor laying flat for 45 minutes. I know what takes a pro 1 hour to do takes me 3-4 hours and I accept this..

Cactus Man

Re: Hat's off to the professionals!!!!

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
    I have begun the kitchen counter project. I am removing the Formica and installing granite tile.

Today I tiled a 24x48 counter area. 3 hours later and I'm exhausted! This includes set up to clean up! I already installed the 3/4 plywood and easymat. This was time spent installing the tile which I did dry fit and number.

Watching the quality home DYI programs it always seems so simple. I always forget that the 30 minute show does not include set up, clean up, out takes, errors, and real time etc.

I have a sincere appreciation for those of you who do this stuff for a livelihood. I have a bad back and thus limited in how much work I can do and how long I can work..For example for every 30 minutes I end up on the floor laying flat for 45 minutes. I know what takes a pro 1 hour to do takes me 3-4 hours and I accept this..

Cactus Man
    Good job, as hard as it may seem you will appreciate more knowing you did it yourself.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post

Cactus Man
      Feels good when you look back and see the finished product

Comment

Tiling is hard on our back, knees, arm, shoulders, neck. So to say to a DIY'r thank you for the appreciation . I don't do it every day, but I would have to say. I have laid down over 25,000 tiles and thats being generous in my amount.

I did a 14000 tile job in a nursing home/kitchen, of course I had a crew w/me on that job.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I know what you mean,i did a bar floor with marble tile.I had to do the cutting,i could'nt crawl around on the floor longer than an hour or two.I guess my old age is showing.lol...Then you gotta carry all the boxes in to the building. We got lucky that it came on pallets and got forked lifted in to the truck.
          If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Working...
          X