X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work? (Tile related)

Im just finishing up my first tile job in my parents laundry room and a small 1/2 bath. Im also replacing the set tub and since I have some tile left over from the floor I was thinking of making a small back splash behind the tub. The wall is just drywall with a high gloss paint, however Im painting it tomorrow. The tiles are 13x13 floor/wall tile from Lowes. I bought some mastic and Im just wondering if the tiles will set on the wall with mastic or will they just fall off since they are so big. Im really only doing either 2 or 4 whole tiles with a small border so its not many. But like I said this is my first venture in tile so Ive never had experience tiling on a wall nor do I know the consistency of mastic. Thanks guys.

Re: Will this work? (Tile related)

Since you are only using a small number of tiles, and you are going to be painting, then I would suggest that you sand all the walls to rough up the surface so the new paint and adhesive will achieve a good bond.

I would not use the mastic to set the tile, as it is used to adhere tile to porous surfaces like cement board or Hardibacker (R). So, I would used tile and construction adhesive. It has a relatively fast set time and bonds the tile well in a vertical position, plus, you can grout the same day.

Good luck and lets see some pics when you are done.

Comment

I'd also like an opinion about securing back splash tile...
      I am doing 4"tall by 12" wide granite with a genesis brass trim to cover the exposed edge, Genesis is similar to the schlueter trim; neat stuff.
      I have read conflicting opinions from construction adhesive, to mastic, to mortar.
      I am applying to older painted drywall. Yes I will wash and sand the drywall prior to any adhesive application.

I have also visited the www.johnbridge.com tile forum and read different opinions...

so what is the consensus?

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
        I'd also like an opinion about securing back splash tile...
        I am doing 4"tall by 12" wide granite with a genesis brass trim to cover the exposed edge, Genesis is similar to the schlueter trim; neat stuff.
        I have read conflicting opinions from construction adhesive, to mastic, to mortar.
        I am applying to older painted drywall. Yes I will wash and sand the drywall prior to any adhesive application.

I have also visited the www.johnbridge.com tile forum and read different opinions...

so what is the consensus?

Cactus Man
        I used Latikrete thinset with the admix when I tiled the walls over the stove and sink this summer. It was painted drywall which I scuff sanded and cleaned. I also put a skim coat of thinset on the wall before I started applying the tile. One thing I found was that the drywall sucked all the moisture out of the thinset about as fast as I could put it on the wall. I ended up buttering the back of each tile as I went, and things went considerably smoother.
        When first applying the skim coat, the thinset set up as fast as I troweled it on. There was very little time to go back and level it. When trying to spread the thinset on the wall with the knotched trowel for the tile, I had only 3 - 5 minutes work time. Applying it directly to the back of the tiles, I only had to hold them in place for a few seconds before it started to firm up and keeping the thinset in the bucket, I was able to get about an hours work time per batch. I also still had time to put in spacers and get things aligned (everything was on a 45 degree bias)
        The tiles I used were 4 x 4 porcelain about 3/8" thick (fairly heavy). I would think that the thinset with the latex admix would provide plenty of adhesion for the granite, but don't know what effect it would have on the brass trim.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X