X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath remodel ?

I dont know if this falls in construction or plumbing but...

Im about to start work on my bathroom. Im putting a new tub in and will be tiling the walls and floors around it. I will be gutting most of the tub wall at one time so I can insulate behind the walls. Do I need to put greenboard up after the insulation and then cement board or is cement board OK right over the studs?

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Bath remodel ?

Out here the tile installer will put felt on the studs and then the hardi board(concrete).

Comment

OP
      You just finished the porch,your callouses haven't even receded yet.

You must be developing some major tool skills.

Oh yeah the felt,just like siding on the instalation,start at the bottom,no staples on the overlap.I don't know how much the pro's overlap,I would do 8" at my level of understanding.
      Last edited by drtyhands; 09-30-2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

You would only need to pre-rock if the tub is on a fire-rated wall. That being said I am a little into over-kill. I use plywood covered in bitchethane before I put up the backerboard. I guess it is from seeing too many failed systems.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

you would be fine with cement board right on the studs.

Comment

on a single family home, wonder board/ dura rock is fine on it's own. but you need to see the what the rough dimension is and adjust the wall opening to the proper dimension.

chances are if you removed real tile with a scratch coat and mud, you will need to fur out the wall to reach the proper dimension. green board will be the least expensive way of doing this. or you could add some 1x2/ 1 x3 horizontal to fur out the wall to match the opening. this way you can lap the strips to the edge of the wonder board and be able to screw the edges secure.

while you're at it, make sure to change the tub/ shower valve. also insulate the plumbing walls for noise and the exterior walls for warmth

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Well you guys are doing just fine, for a bunch of plumbers in the construction thread. And why not, I keep crashing your area, you got the right answers, and no complaints from this man.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Cement board is water resistant not waterproof as is tile.I would not put up this product on bare studs,I would use Jumbo-Tex(thin) or even #15 felt if I had to,to provide a membrane to protect the studs.

If one of these cement boards are waterproof then I will learn something.But for now paper is cheap and easy to install.Don't cut the corners I have seen newbies do it.

Check your studs the offsets will transfer through the board and give you an uneven field that will really show up in the light.You may have to do some planing and furring.

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                  Well you guys are doing just fine, for a bunch of plumbers in the construction thread. And why not, I keep crashing your area, you got the right answers, and no complaints from this man.
                  Hey,I made a toilet paper holder.It only took me nine months in intermediate school

Am I drifting

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    You would only need to pre-rock if the tub is on a fire-rated wall. That being said I am a little into over-kill. I use plywood covered in bitchethane before I put up the backerboard. I guess it is from seeing too many failed systems.

Mark
                    Is float(1-1/4) thick enough for a 2 hour UBC fire rating.

Comment

Speaking of floating tile walls, I had a service call to set finish, I guess the last plumber was fired, and I was called to finish his job.

I dug out the rough in covers on the valves, it was a multi-valve, multi head shower unit. The control valve tile was set to far around the rough in, I guess the tile guy didn't know he had to tile around the plate, instead he tiled as much as 1/2" around the plate, so the trim didn't set properly.

Now, the kick in the old gut came when I checked the depth of the valve, the tile looked thick, and it was, it was floated to 2 1/4" thick.

The longest extension made for this valve was 1 7/8", not even close, to where the valve was set, I needed another 3/4" of an inch atleast.

There was custom tile on the other side of the wall also. Bad situation for the homeowner.

This is an excellent example of poor communication between the tile guy and the plumber. If you want my opinion, I think the tile guy floated the wall to thick, and it isn't the plumbers fault.

In the end, the customer has gone back to the plumber and the tile guy's for a solution, I will walk from this job because I feel it is going to turn into an ugly situation and I choose not to get involved.
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Sometimes you'll get an extremely thick float on the more elaborate custom homes because the tile setter is trying to square the float,perpendicular wall,pan,tub.They have a tendency to address this a lot more with slab marble and granite.

But 19 out of 20 times it's just a homeowner hiring a hack.

Comment

Any time I do a bath remodel or new install,

1st; I insulate all the walls around the tub/shower area,

2nd; a continuous 2 mil polyethylene vapor barrier against the studs,

3rd; green board,

4th; cement board

5th; the tile.

Some consider it overkill, but I too, have witnessed MANY failed shower and tub areas where the studs, sub-flooring, and joists are rotten, moldy, or both.

Grout lines can crack and fail to the point where water wicks behind the tile and causes much damage over the years. It's better to take the extra time and care now, rather than have to fix the problem later down the road.
                          Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                          Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

If Its a cast iron tub,get the bfh. Big _ _ _ _ _ _ _ hammer.and hit hard.it will break into small peices.Wear safety glasses.and close the door.Easier to get out of the bathroom,when you have small peices. A full tub is very heavy....Good luck.,
                            If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinrandy View Post
                              If Its a cast iron tub,get the bfh. Big _ _ _ _ _ _ _ hammer.and hit hard.it will break into small peices.Wear safety glasses.and close the door.Easier to get out of the bathroom,when you have small peices. A full tub is very heavy....Good luck.,
                              I place a drop cloth over the tub when doing this, it prevents shrapnel.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X