X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sprinklers in residential/commmercial building

currently bid and was awarded a job, adding an apartment on 2nd floor of an existing commercial building,in Johnstown, PA. I'm being told by COB (inspectors), that i may need to add a sprinkler system. even though existing bldg. has none. this is zoned residential, and was given a zoning variance years ago, to allow the existing business (a "frateral order of eagles",club/bar).I was told by owner it was originally all apt's. the new blueprints were approved for fire ratings of doors, ceilings,drywall, exits, etc. waitng for permit, and now this???
    cob gave me some paperwork to fill out, from chapter 34,(existing bldg's) of some code book they tried to sell me for $75, including a worksheet on existing and new constuction materials, and it assigns values to each answer, some being negative values??? then add all these up to get a total, and compare it to min. standards, then i wont need sprinklers???
    met with the architect today, and i had to walk him through this, as he has never seen anything like this before either.
    anyone with experience with this???? anyone famliar with this chapter 34???
    need to get this started soon
    thanx
    joe
    Last edited by AWK07; 10-08-2007, 04:58 PM.

Re: sprinklers in residential/commmercial building

Different districts have different codes.Out here anytime we remodel the sprinklers are required,in apartments especialy,even if the existing building has never had them.

Comment

Re: sprinklers in residential/commmercial building

After a quick Google:

http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/factsh...sprinklers.pdf

It looks like they are talking about Chapter 34 of the International Building Code. The link will take you to the legislation which talks about retro-fitting in your State.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
      X