Soundproofing window

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soundproofing window

sound has a memory,if it goes through 1/8 inch glass it's pattern will change and will go through the next pane much easier.In the recording studio im building we used two different thickness of glass,so that it has to change frequency with each piece of glass the sound goes through.We also installed the glass at angles,so that some of the sound would bounce off,It travels straight through at 90' degree angles.
    I am just learning about sound, This is the 3rd studio i've built,But this one is state of the art.Some big wig in nashville designed it.
    I like the curtains idea. Check with music stores,about sound curtains.Most clubs the have bands with windows or smooth walls around the stage have heavy thick curtains. Good luck
    If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

I recommend an operable treatment that allows you to use it when you need it and have full view of your window when you need that. There are many sound deadening window coverings available such as a thick lined drapery or a cellular (honeycomb shade). Hunter Douglas makes a Triple cell product called "Phenomena 3" and I would recommend looking into that. Good luck.

Comment

The cheapest solution is to get some ear plugs...

Comment

This can be very dependent on the construction of the window, & Rockinrandy had some very relevant points. However, a method I once helped a glazier with, in Denmark, was to use Argon between the glass instead of air or vacuum. Anyone who has tried to breathe Argon can tell you, It,s heavy & soggy. (Argon is non poisnous, but heavy, & stays in the lungs- you drown more effectively than in water - Dont try this at home. If you see an apprentice in Denmark getting "wuzzy" & pale while TIG welding, you hang him upside down in a crane, & wait about 2 minutes. When he's feeling well enough to protest, you let him down gently, & send him on a long break)
          Perhaps someone with your ingenuity, helped by the available knowhow of this forum can use this.

Comment

So how did this turn out? What did you do to solve your problem? What worked best for you?

Comment

SKip it all and go for what your wife would like the most. We too live near a busy street. I found that a waterfall near the window makes for a great noise distration. I haven't heard of nor do I believe in a single product that totally eliminates traffic noise but a fall 1/3 way up the window is nice and soothing. Yes, you still hear some of the traffic noise but the waterfall makes it that much easier to handle.

Comment

Working...
              X