X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundproofing window

Hi, I have a noisy road near me for about 1 hour in morning.Prime sleeping time.Only traffic driving by an in the inwter its worse due to no greenery.
    Its currently a 95 inch wide window (3 pieces) that is double pane. Is there a way to make this more soundproof?
    Triple pane?
    Foam?
    Thanks

Re: Soundproofing window

Make up with wife so you don't have to sleep on the couch in the living room
    I live about 400' from a highway and our windows keep the sound out, even the sliding door. I do have a bunch of pine between me and the road that helps so perhaps plant a few rows of evergreens. My windows are decent quality, double pane argon filled with vinyl frames and foam sealed. If yours are just tacked in an stuffed with fiberglass, replacing the fiberglass with foam will make the window more rigid within the building frame and may cut down on vibration transmission.

Comment

Are you looking to replace your window, or trying to solve what you have???

Try to solve it by

Take off your trim (interior), take out old insulation, then use spray foam. If you cannot get the straw in there between the wallboard and framing, cut some of the wallboard out, let foam dry and cut off.

Replace your weather stripping's on your windows, that is if the are operational windows.

Adding a 3rd pane can possibly be done, but without a picture, to difficult to tell you how, but I don't think a 3rd pane would solve a lot of your problem.

Its the insulation and stripping and it could be your walls are not up to standard for insulation also.

If your looking to replace your window, I can let you know of a brand that is great for noise reduction......
      Last edited by garager; 10-09-2007, 06:15 PM.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
        Are you looking to replace your window, or trying to solve what you have???

Try to solve it by

Take off your trim (interior), take out old insulation, then use spray foam. If you cannot get the straw in there between the wallboard and framing, cut some of the wallboard out, let foam dry and cut off.

Replace your weather stripping's on your windows, that is if the are operational windows.

Adding a 3rd pane can possibly be done, but without a picture, to difficult to tell you how, but I don't think a 3rd pane would solve a lot of your problem.

Its the insulation and stripping and it could be your walls are not up to standard for insulation also.

If your looking to replace your window, I can let you know of a brand that is great for noise reduction......
        If theres a cheap way great.I can remove the trim and spray foam in there.Very hesitant to cut wallboard due to lack of experience patching (zero).I guess I could just add larger trim to vover that area.
        They are operational. I will add a pic.Center stationary. Two sides are sliders. House was built in 1992 by a well known builder that is known for quality here.

Could you give the name of the window company please.

Comment

No need to patch the wallboard. Trim will cover what little you need to cut out. You need to get into the rough opening that the window was placed into. So you should only be trimming off the wallboard no more than 1/2", if you even need to trim any off. This part is a heck of a lot easier to do then replacing the weather stripping around the two operating sections. If you know the Make and Model # of your existing window, you maybe able to down load on how to replace the weather stripping.

Milgard windows, is doing a great job in the noise reduction area.

Here is they're link, contact them and find out who sells them in your area. If you do want to replace your window, tell the sells person exactly what your needs are.

http://www.milgard.com/
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I used to install for Renewal by Anderson. I have nothing else to offer on the soundproofing, the foam is the best idea I could give you too, but I can tell you that I have installed triple pane windows for folks with sound issues. They do help a bit, without a doubt, but not nearly as much as one would hope for the extra cost, which for Anderson was quite a bit.

The problem is even if you fill in around the window with foam, or triple up the panes,if they are vinyl or composite windows they are likely hollow inside the frame.

So I say do what you can with what you have and don't bother replacing them until you have to. Put up heavy curtains. I think that would give you better results than buying new windows. It really does help.
            Last edited by woodenstickers; 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM. Reason: I use commas like a drunk spends money.
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Heavy curtains is a really good idea, I really think your problem is an old window that needs some care to it and around it. Check your walls too, you just may have an area that is not insulated, or it was blown in insulation and after time goes bye, the insulation has settled. Buying a new window should be your last option, replacing what you can, can give you a new window and much cheaper.

Is the window all wood or not????

Comment

If you do replace the window get double strength glass. That will do more for reducing sound than anything. When you order the replacement window specify double strength glass for the thermo pane sash. If you know the manufacturer of the window you have you may be able to order a replacement sash made with double strength. Also be very cautious using the foam around windows. Use it sparingly it can distort the frame and make it difficult to raise and lower the window.

Comment

Heavy curtains is a really good idea, I really think your problem is an old window that needs some care to it and around it. Check your walls too, you just may have an area that is not insulated, or it was blown in insulation and after time goes bye, the insulation has settled. Buying a new window should be your last option, replacing what you can, can give you a new window and much cheaper.

Is the window all wood or not????
                  Nah window is all synthetic. Where the window slides the it seems like a soft (pushes in, probaly hollow) casing.
                  We installed some velvet curtains for light.Ill look inot a liner now too.

Comment

Keep us posted on what your doing, I don't know what else we can do for you, but if you have more questions, shoot em out.

Comment

Keep us posted on what your doing, I don't know what else we can do for you, but if you have more questions, shoot em out.
                      Thanks. I will need to post a few pics.

Comment

make sure you use DAP non expanding foam. it is meant to be used for windows and doors. GREAT STUFF foam could possibly expand too much and cause your window not to operate correctly

Comment

Originally posted by staab29 View Post
                          make sure you use DAP non expanding foam. it is meant to be used for windows and doors. GREAT STUFF foam could possibly expand too much and cause your window not to operate correctly
                          THanks for the tip.

Comment

Years ago I was big time into windows. Also was a certified Pella Cont.
                            Millguard and others make quiet windows.
                            Here's how the best are made. 2 double lites of glass seperated with a plastic sheet. Airbar [spacer ]between the 2 double glass So the glass is laminated. These are very affective and are Very heavy. Not cheap
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you can, replace the panes / sashes with double-strength laminated glass. I did this in my house, and the traffic noise was cut dramatically.

Comment

Working...
                              X