garage floor finally done - question about smothing concrete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage floor finally done - question about smothing concrete

ok.. 12 hours of pouring and polishing and my floor is finally done. because the weather was so cold the guy finishing my floor said he had to spend a lot more time at my place to get it done. good thing he charges by the job!

my question is about the drain.. I had put a form in which created a 12"x22' drain with 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" lip where the angle iron will sit for the grate to sit on. last night I removed the form and the concrete on the sides of the drain is pretty rough for the most part.. very rocky. i know it won't really be noticeable with the grate on but.. because I'm so picky I'd like it to look good. can I use some kind of parging or mortar to smooth it out? also wondering how I can seal it afterwards to stop any sitting water from soakin down in the concrete?

I thought maybe I could use the same sealer the finisher used.. it's technicure by mulco.. gives a real nice finish.. I still need to put a second coat of it on the floor so I thought maybe I could seal the drain area with it.

any ideas/opinions would be appreaciated.

Jeff

Re: garage floor finally done - question about smothing concrete

I don't know what is the going Idea to day, but in years past to water tight concrete like a cistern or tank, one would mix up a plaster type mix, basically one to one cement one lime to 2 sand and add a touch of dish soap to the mix, the soap makes it tighter and then plaster this mix on to the porous concrete or block. (one can substitute a mortar mix instead of mixing your own cement and lime).

with the new ad mixtures and other additives I would think there is a improvement over the above.

there are also premixed products such as Thorseal and others

jsut do a Google search on water proofing cement,

even jsut painting it with a cement slurry will help water tighten it and improve it looks, (jsut cement and water mixed into a thin past that can be brushed)
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You can get a super smooth effect w/a cement base Floor Level. There are different Floor Levels out there, be sure your getting the cement base. Not a lot of working time w/it, so you need to be fairly quick and practice on something else first.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

thanks for the replies.. I talk to a local company and apparantly there's a product called superplug which is a hydraulic type cement and can be used for this purpose.

the otherquestion along the same subject is about retaining type wall. a few years back we had dug the crawl space out of my basement.. which has a stone foundation. we put footings along with a retaining wall. a local foundation company which I do work for (computers) tells me that over the years this concrete retaining wall will decay from being wet. is this true?

Comment

Everything will decay given enough time, concrete retaining wall, well I would have to take a look at that to give a proper answer, in your lifetime to see it decay, very, very doubtful. Waterproofing a wall will certainly give you more lifetime and good drainage around your walls. It takes many many years for cement to break down, I'll be dead before your wall.....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

thanks garager.. that's what I thought.. before I moved into my house 7 years ago(it's a century home btw) there was no drainage at all. all the spring thaw would sit on the dirt floor in the basement. the only thing off the floor was the furnace, hw tank, jet pump,etc. they had made a slab for this. I've since put a sump hole in, drainage all around and platon on the floor before pouring on top. I left the existing slab with the furnace. I'm sure it's been there for at least 30 + years and it does not show any signs of decay. the guy I was talking to said that because I was using the ready mix cement that it doesn't have the same properties as the stuff you order from a concrete plant. I do recall the bag saying it's good for retaining walls, floors, even foundation.

Comment

My house was built in 1886, I to have spent a great deal of time and money. I do love an older home over the new ones, even if its just a basic style home. Mine came w/at least one ghost, we actually thought there was 2 of them. I am speaking from the truth here.

After living in my home for many, many years, we have learned to live with each others. Went from concrete to ghosts, sorry about that, must be that time of the year.....

Comment

Concrete Is a hard sponge. I know it sounds silly,but it the truth as far as i know..Concrete will not stick to concrete,for very long thats one reason the use wood or black for the joints.That why when you pour a huge slab the make one big pour.Something like a store,start at sunup and the trucks seem to never stop. At least that how it was explained to me. Now some of the new products might work. When we installed new coolers in a grocery store.we used a bonding agent to coat the cement before we poured.Looked like elmers glue,even smelled like it to.And no i didn't taste it..lol
                If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

Working...
                X