Roof ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof ???

Got a roof/deck that I need to get covered and made water proof.
    It was built and decked with osb and then had rolled graveled roofing put on it. Did not last long as it gets "stuff" from surrounding tress on it and then when it gets walked on it put holes in the rolled roofing.
    Not sure where to go from here.
    As near as I can tell I have a couple of choices.
    Some type of heavy duty rubberized roofing material but it is EXPENSIVE and not sure how long it will last.
    The second choice (the one I need opinions on) is flat metal.
    I have found some 24"X50' rolled metal that is said to be a nominal .010 gauge.
    It feels pretty thick to me but not sure what to compare it to.
    The roof has a 1:12 pitch so I'm thinking that I could overlap the seams a couple of inches and seal them.
    ANy thoughts on how well this would work and if this thickness metal would withstand being walked on.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

Re: Roof ???

Hmmm...
    In my opinion, the first thing that you should do is remove the roofing material down to the decking and inspect it for any water damage or stress cracks. At that point, you can determine if any of the decking needs to be replaced...after all, there is no sense in re-roofing if the decking is damaged. If the decking is weak in any way, REPLACE IT! DO NOT RISK trying to repair it...especially if it is OSB. Also be sure to check your rafters or trusses for any subsequent damage or stress cracks. After you make any repairs, I would suggest using a plastic roof wrap material to cover the decking with. This material comes in a roll and is available at building supply stores. It is kind of like a heavy duty tarp on a roll and it goes on the same way as the roofing felt. Be sure to overlap it about 5 or 6 inches. Once you have this rolled on, then roll your tar paper/ roofing felt on top of the wrap. Be sure to offset the seams so that the wrap and the tar paper don't line up exactly. After that, make sure to install your drip edeges and any necessary flashing. Once that is done, it's time to shingle! Use a quality shingle with a good warranty.
    As for the metal on a roll that you were talking about, I have not had any experience with it. I would suggest you check with local building codes to be certain that it is ok to use it in the way that you are wanting to use it. Is it a treated metal? You want to make sure it wont rust! If you want a metal roof, I would suggest using corrugated metal roofing as it is designed to be used for roofing and the "humps" in it add rigidity to withstand being walked on as well as channeling water and debris off. It is very easy to install, although it is pricey.
    Anyway, I hope this helped. Let me know...
    Nick

Comment

I'm confused. Is it a roof or a deck? Sounds to me like it's an elevated deck, with usable space underneath it so it needs to stop water from going through it.

Your solution sounds like it's to finish off a roof, shingled and all. It doesn't seem to me that it would be ok for walking over on a regular basis.

Is that necessary? What exactly is this that you're repairing?

Comment

Rubber roof it, but you give no dimension on structure size...

Build a secondary platform/Deck out of pressure treaded or more modern material on top/over your existing roof. I'm not sure if your existing roof/deck is really meant to be used as a Balcony/Deck. Roll roofing does not go on a balcony.

How about pictures, can you take some and post them in here?????
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

It is a deck that is also the roof of a shop. The plan is that I am replacing all the osb as their is water damage.
          I will try and get some pics this weekend sometime. Size is 12'X48'
          Thanks

Comment

I find it difficult to believe that some one would be bright enough to use OSB in a deck system, even covered up/water proofed. OSB has very little to none for structural strength in that position. No wonder the roof failed, do you have any clue as to how much movement goes on, when a 200 lb/300 lb man or women walks between the rafters. Nothing would survive after a short period time. Wrong material to use for walking on.

Ya, you can put on shingles and get away w/walking on it for a few times, but anymore than that, and your looking at failure in the process. Find a different material, but something tells me, it was never designed for walking on, and someone went ahead and turned it into that sort of thing, a deck...

I would certainly give you pointers/tips, but never, if you use osb as a decking and especially outside. They do have a sub floor material (thicker too) to be used indoors and this looks like OSB, well sort of, but in all actuality, it is made different, more resins in the product I believe....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I think I misunderstood your original post. I didn't realize that you wanted to CONTINUALLY WALK on the roof. Disregard what I said as I thought you were just re-roofing a cover over a deck. I am in total agreement with Garager as far as OSB is concerned. And after re-reading the related posts, I would also agree with Garager that this was probably not meant to be walked on nor was it probably designed as a structure for that purpose either.
              Listen to Garager, he does this for a living and based on all of the posts from him....HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!
              Nick

Comment

Working...
              X