Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I replace my window jam?

Hey Guys,

Over the summer I had Home Depot install vinyl replacement windows in my home. They have the wood grain look to them. Now my wife dosen't like how the vinyl grain color matches the existing oak jam and trim. Can I pull out the existing jam and trim, then replace it with new oak and stain? I was also thinking that I could rabbit out some oak strips, cover the existing jam, and then replace the trim. Using new boards I should be able to match the color better to the new vinyl window.

Thanks-Cordless
    Last edited by cordless; 10-26-2007, 10:01 AM.

Re: Can I replace my window jam?

Originally posted by cordless View Post
    Hey Guys,

Over the summer I had Home Depot install vinyl replacement windows in my home. They have the wood grain look to them. Now my wife dosen't like how the vinyl grain color matches the existing oak jam and trim. Can I pull out the existing jam and trim, then replace it with new oak and stain? I was also thinking that I could rabbit out some oak strips, cover the existing jam, and then replace the trim. Using new boards I should be able to match the color better to the new vinyl window.

Thanks-Cordless
    Pictures, we need pictures of your set up. You maybe able to just trim over your existing jam, or even veneer over your jams. Theres a few possibilities, but it helps more so with a picture.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I agree, pics would be great. I have done many window replacements and re jambed, cased and silled. It is VERY easy. You can likely just take off your casing and put new jambs inside your existing ones, new sill on top of your old one (cut the existing sill flush with your interior wall---even knock it down with a chisel or sawzall is fine) and then re-case with a larger casing. If you are doing stain-grade work, keep your fits tight.

I like to cut returns on my sills and aprons, and if you are staining fill the nail holes AFTER you stain so it matches the finished wood exactly.

Fun little project, really. Not hard at all and can make a huge difference to the interior of your home.

I know some guys who build the whole jamb and sill assembly and insert it as one piece. This is good if you are doing stain grade work because you can nail from all angles. Just pay attention to your reveals at the window, casing and make sure if your sill is level that your windows are really square before you try this method.

Eli
      Last edited by woodenstickers; 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM.
      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Pics please...

I have also done many custom jambs, sills, and casings on replacement windows. It's straightforward and easy to do. I also like to do the returns on the apron and stool ends- looks more professional than just a 90 deg cut end.

Comment

Working...
        X