X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door - Aluminum or Steel?

Anybody have any opinions on whether I should go with an aluminum or steel garage door? One contractor tells me the aluminum dents very easily and is strongly recommending steel. I am going insulated either way, looking at Garaga H-tech Plus (aluminum) or Garaga "Standard 138" (steel).

thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Garage Door - Aluminum or Steel?

I'll bet Garager will have an answer for ya

Comment

If its insulated this will help in dents reduction, well it could have looked a lot worse then with out the insulation. They both dent, alum. is lighter then steel, but they are both thin enough to dent. What you should be looking at is the warranty issue and what type of design/style your getting for your money. High up windows are always nice to let in light, wood gain texture is also a plus, raised panel doors instead of flat panel is nicer, what R value are you getting in your door. Make sure you have the proper door opener, is the door a 7', 8', 9' door. Getting back to your question though, they both will dent, but if you buy insulated panel doors, this will reduce a dramatic dent to a small dent, know what I mean?
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        I'll bet Garager will have an answer for ya

Now I feel like I'm at home again. Thanks PC....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thanks Garager,
          The H-Tech+ door is aluminum with an R18 and the Standard 138 is steel with R16. Both are raised panel with a woodgrain look. I am going to consider the windows but its an expensive option so I might be better off with just another window in the wall.

Comment

may it is me, but i do not want windows in my garage, to easy for prying eyes if you know what i am saying
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Personally I would go with insulated aluminum...
              No corrosion problems down the road, easier on the tracks, rollers, opener etc. because of reduced weight...

Just my 2ยข
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                may it is me, but i do not want windows in my garage, to easy for prying eyes if you know what i am saying
                Then you can obviously afford to run lighting all day long, if you have a work shop in there. Natural lighting is also easier on your eyes. By placing windows up high, makes for someone to see in very difficult without standing on something or getting a ladder. And if your running machinery in a garage, is a dead give away that you do have machinery in there (I can hear you). Skylights is also great for a workshop/garage. Advantages of no windows, would be the saving of some heat/ac when running.

Comment

I would humbly suggest looking at fibreglass. I have an insulated aluminum door, raised panel with windows. manufacturer warrants against rust through. which means the pitting that occuurred on the first door I had wasn't really covered under warranty. lots of calls to HD and it was replaced, but there is still evidence of the beginnings of potential problems on the replacement door. Fiberglass never rots. Wish I'd known such doors were available before I bought mine.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                    I would humbly suggest looking at fibreglass. I have an insulated aluminum door, raised panel with windows. manufacturer warrants against rust through. which means the pitting that occuurred on the first door I had wasn't really covered under warranty. lots of calls to HD and it was replaced, but there is still evidence of the beginnings of potential problems on the replacement door. Fiberglass never rots. Wish I'd known such doors were available before I bought mine.
                    This is true, fiberglass never does rot. But it sure can crack and fill up with water. What happens to a door when it fills up with water, gets really damn heavy. I'm not saying don't buy a fiberglass door, but also don't aim your snowblower at it if you live in snow country.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X