X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspections

This is the SIXTH time I was informed that an inspector would be conducting inspections

The city of Los Angeles Building Department is flexing it's muscle as it may and should.The general contractor has gone over the line again and the building department has had their full with this particular permit holder.

Keep in mind this project is an eighty mile round trip from door to door.Travel time one way is 2 hours one way in traffic.The system test takes an hour to isolate from the occupied medical building,put under test,then another 45 minutes return to operating system.Oh and you have to go door to door notifying 7 other tenants we will be disrupting their suite while they are trying to treat patients.

Check this out.

Inspection

#1- General TELLS me we are going for inspection on Thursday,I tell him no way,I can make it the next day Friday.General calls inspector for Thursday anyway.Inspector shows up I'm not ready.Still he is kind enough to do a Preliminary walk(which is a favor if he has the time and considers the person worthy).He points out a few items required by his jurisdiction,no problem,to be expected.In Los Angeles when the architect can't draw a funtioning system it is up to me to install the most efficient and code applicable system possible.So the inspector needs to have the architect draw AS-BUILT plans and resubmit to the city.The general knew this I didn't,he was hoping the inspector would let it fly................Wrong

#2- It's two weeks later.This is the day I told you guys about the other plumber jumping into my new system.And the three floors getting water damage.The inpector was there when it blew.Obviously the system was not ready.Inspector requires a reinspection fee be paid.

#3- Next day,General calls the city for a re-inspection figuring the schedulers won't catch the fee requirement.I am there with the system full.NO SHOW.The city is getting pissed.

#4- FRIDAY general called it in.NO-SHOW.I wonder why

#5- Four days later.The plans don't Match still.Funny how today is the first day I see them because the general has them and he did a no show four days ago as well.Inspector"re-inspection fee,re submit AS-BUILTS.

#6- Three weeks later,today,FRIDAY.I'll give you one guess.

There are good and bad inspectors.They require respect to a degree.Push them,you fry and everyone in your proximity.

Happy Friday Everyone

Adam

Re: Inspections

It actually all sounds tiring. I have learned years ago, never mess with Inspectors. Stand your ground but be polite. Then you'll learn to respect each others, unless you intentionally went against a serious code, you will find yourself screwed for quite sometime...

Adam, thats a lot of drama going on, keep us up, with all the latest news...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Although not as serious of a matter when I built my deck last spring I found the inspector to be very helpful. I went in with my plans and he looked it over and changed things to how he would want them to be, but then mentioned with the size and height of my deck I wasnt going to need a permit anyway

Comment

I feel for you bro

Been there a few times. If you are the permit holder there is no reason the GC should be scheduling inspections for your work. Some GC's think that if they just keep calling inspections in someone will let it pass. Here we get 2 failures whether it's a not ready or code issue before they hit you with a re-fee. Then no inspections can even be scheduled without payment.

Sometimes you think you will make a profit then this crap happens

Comment

Thanks guys.

Man,this place is cold.Somebody ought too see what they can do about getting some heat in here.

I thought this could be the middle ground for the trades.

On second thought maybe we could store cheese in here

Last edited by drtyhands; 12-02-2007, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I don't Know how,But I'd make The General pay! I'm not talking cash!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Reading stuff like this makes me miss life on the road even less. Here in podunk Arkansas we dont have to worry about inspectors. It is kind of nice to be trusted by the home owners.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                I don't Know how,But I'd make The General pay! I'm not talking cash!
                He's holding enough of our money to put a healthy down payment on a house.

Commercial construction usually pays 90 days after invoicing.So we still have a lot of tongue bitting to do.I'm already developing a speach imparement

I doubt I can get him to pay for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  He's holding enough of our money to put a healthy down payment on a house.

Commercial construction usually pays 90 days after invoicing.So we still have a lot of tongue bitting to do.I'm already developing a speach imparement

I doubt I can get him to pay for lunch
                  Used to be that way here (NJ), but now (as of 9/25/06) you must be paid within 30 days.

New Jersey Expands Prompt Payment Law for Construction Contracts
                  http://www.constructionweblinks.com/...2006/newj.html

from the State's website:
                  http://www.state.nj.us/governor/news.../20060901.html
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 12-02-2007, 11:14 PM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Sounds to me like the GENERAL needs to take a walk with you out to the back lot of the site and given the run around.

Not only that, but the re-insp. fee gets added onto you contract, plus a healthy mark-up for delays and aggravation on your part because he doesn't know his job from a hole in the ground!

Comment

Working...
                    X