No announcement yet.

concrete slab

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete slab

Need a little info. My son is going to build a storage building with a basement underneath. He wants to pour a reinforced concrete slab for the main floor. The building is 24' x 30' with two concrete block walls( in the basement) dividing the 30' length into 3 10' distances. (the equivalent of three 10 x 24 slabs) The questions are: 1. How thick should the slab be? 2. What spacing should he use on the rebars? The storage would be for farm use--some bales of hay, feed grain, tools etc. I thought about prestressed hollow core slabs, but can't find any info on a supplier near Tombstone Az. Anybody have any insight on that?
    Thanks, Jim

Re: concrete slab

In my minds eye,at worst he's going to be driving a large piece of equipment in and out to move stored products.I don't think this is the case,but what if someone,someday may want to start storing cars or farm equipment.Because I don't Know I'm going to play safe say two levels of #6 rebar 6" on center rolled into the basement walls for a 16" slab.

I can see your face right now

Sorry I don't want to see a future owner other than your family members Case 570 falling through the floor into the basement.

First, get a set of plans for this and either look up a set on line or have someone draw you up a set.

The two most common structual slabs are either 5" thick, 4000 psi concrete with #5 rebar one foot each way (1' oc), or a 2"-4" slab on metal decking with wire mesh, depends on the foundation.
      Personaly, I would go with a slab on deck.
      Last edited by Mr. Concrete; 12-26-2007, 03:33 AM.

Just talked to the kid. My error--the basement is for storage--the main floor is his woodworking shop. (no chance of a 370 in there, drtyhands) Right now he is thinking about the 5" reinforced slab. Thanks for the info.

I have no Idea on how to engineer the floor,

I have poured a few roof slabs or porch slabs, over the years, the most part they were between 6" to 8" thick, and used 1/2" re-bar about 12" on center, and also went both directions, over about a 16 gage roof deck steel, and had a 8" I beam in the center, of a 16' span, (this roof deck was for my generator shed),

the other was a deck over a garage, again about 16' span we built a ply wood form and braced it (left it in place for nearly 40 days, used builder felt over the plywood deck, poured it about 6" thick possibly 8" (this was over 30 years ago), first they laid pipe (i think it was oil well tubing as there main supports about 4' apart and then re-bar 1/2" about every 16" going the long way, all it ever got was foot traffic, and to my knowledge it is still there and OK I saw it for two or three years, and during those years it was in good shape, (I had no input on the design of the deck),

I have seen a few more done over the years most were fairly similar to the above construction,

as far as to what they would hold I have not a clue, so to drive over them,
          with out an engineer,
          the only way I would do it is to use some I beam that you know will hold the load and space the supports so that you do not have any doubt that it would hold the load and just use the deck to make a smooth top, not spanning more than 4' between beams,

If you find an application that is similar, may be one could get a copy of the prints and use that, as a plan.

the placement of the re-bar would have effect as well as to the strength of the deck.

One thing is to make sure you have built the form deck properly wet concrete weighs over 100 pounds per cubit foot, so if your pouring a 6" deep deck you have a weight of 50 pounds of weight per cubic foot, and when wet and walking on it it is true live weight, and if the truck driver is a little wild, you could have 200 to 300 pounds for a time on the deck until you get it spread out, so make sure your form work is built to hold the weight,

It is possible a place like this may be able to help with some type of pre designed decks.

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.