Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drywall Question

Folks,
    I am removing an interior door and covering with drywall. Vertical seems between old and new drywall are both supported by 2 by 4 studs. Drywall installed with drywall screws. Mud, tape and more mud are applied.
    What can I do to prevent the eventual crack that may develop at this joint?
    Steve.

Re: Drywall Question

Just use the paper tape and not the DIY'r fiberglass meshing tape. It shouldn't crack on you.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Ok, I will use paper tape.
      Thank you.
      Steve.

Comment

I like to use the paper tape too, but with caveats. Make sure you put down a good bed of mud to push the tape into first. And I like to use Durabond 90 as my base coat and at least one of the two top coats. The Durabond has portland cement in it, so once that sets up in the paper tape it's just like concrete and won't crack. Knock it down and put a second coat of Durabond on top. Top coat (finish coat) can be one of your pre-mixed drywall muds that sands real nice and provides for a smooth, slick finish. Take your time and do a good job and you won't be disappointed. Many DIYers want to rush a drywall job and skip a coat or two or the sanding between coats and that's where they mess it up. Good luck.
        Jim Don

Comment

garager, JimDon,
          I will follow the steps as you said.
          Thank you.
          Steve.

Comment

As others said make sure you use paper tape and embed it well in setting type compound. Too many times I've seen people use the mesh tape, and with standard mud at that, and it will crack...

Comment

So is the fiberglass mesh just inferior to the tape or are there applications where it would be preferred?

Comment

Originally posted by athuswal View Post
                So is the fiberglass mesh just inferior to the tape or are there applications where it would be preferred?
                Maybe a patch job, from a small hole, possibly cracks in a plaster job. My experiences and jobs that people use this stuff on (normally a handymans job), garbage. Why take a chance, paper is more superior.

I once had to patch up about a 100 cracks in a house that was all plaster, there was blasting going on, for a new tunnel 2 miles away. This blasting caused the cracks. Anyhow, I did use fiber meshing and never got a call back. But to do seams, nope I'll stay to paper.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Fibreglass mesh tape is needed for wet installations, such as on tile backer in a shower.

Hmm... why do I know this?

Comment

If your framing is tight and secure, you should not have problem with cracks regardless of what tape you use, what causes cracks is movement and shifting, and if it moves it will crack more than likely.

I do not like working with the mesh tape, but in some instances it is better, I think one gets a better finish with the paper tape, both will tear or crack if the framing or drywall moves behind it, it is the weakest point, of the wall, (I have done a lot of dry walling but not a dry Waller),

and I am not sure the mesh tape recommended for the cement board is the same that is used on dry wall, may be some one can enlighten me,

the cement board should use alkali-resistant fiberglass mesh tape, http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6307748?ref=gbase
                    Fiberglass Cement Tape 3 inch x 150 feet 115084 by Perma Glass Mesh
                    Fiberglass Cement Tape Alkali-Resistant ``Fibatape`` Wdth.Ins.X Lgth.Ft.=3 X 150

Long-lasting, vinyl coated strands will withstand corrosive effects of the alkaline present in cement board joint finishing, lightweight concrete panel seaming and crack repair, block foundation, and reinforcement for fiber cement, and concrete stucco. He avier fiberglass yarns for more strength than regular mesh tapes.
                    for dry wall, http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/8110074?ref=gbase
                    Fiberglass Drywall Joint Tape 300 Feet 295A by Perma Glass Mesh
                    Fiberglass Drywall Joint Tape Self-Adhesive ``Fibatape`` White - Boxed W. Ins. X L. Ft.=1-7/8 X 300

Open mesh will not trap air that causes blisters and bubbles. Adhesive system requires no pre-plastering for easy DIYer and professional application, and for long shelf life.
                    12%
                    at least this company has two different types.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X