X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canada question

hi all i am a irish self employed gas engineer who lives in london with my partner and kids . i have worked in the stated briefly over the years doing various things .what i wanted to know was what the propects of getting work and what legal problems will i have ,many thanks in advance all

Re: canada question

I don't know what a gas engineer is, but try Calgary, Alberta particularly if you have expertise is in the oil industry. There is lots of demand for people and Saskatchewan is really taking off. Don't forget your long underwear. If you can find an offer for a job it is fairly easy for skilled people to enter Canada.

Comment

thanks bluecon, when i say a gas engineer i repair and install gas boilers and am also a qualified plumber who has been self employed for the last 15 odd years living in london england. i was just wondering what the work prospects are. i have a mate of mine whose uncle lives on vancover island and he always said that if he was younger he would move there, so that is why i am enquiring maybe for a better quality of life for my family who knows,many thanks anyway

Comment

Well, if you can show up to work everyday, you'll be the favorite employee of any company you choose to work for. There's no end to the jobs here at the moment.
        As far as trade licences/certifications go.....we have a government run apprentiship program in place. Most trades are 4 years, you work 10 months, go to school 2 months out of each year.
        Your experience and whatever certification you have now should get you a minimum of 2 years credit in the program. (you'd start as a 3rd year apprentice) I believe that's 85% of journeyman wage rate.
        They might even give you full credit, and you'd just be required to write the final exam to obtain your Canadian licence.

Cost of living is fairly high, as this area (Alberta) is in a boom. Rent on an apartment is from $1000 to $1500 a month, a house would rent for $2000+ a month.
        Condo's are about $200,000 + to buy, average house sells for about $350,000

Comment

Oh, and from the sounds of it, your trade here is called "Gas Fitter".

Comment

cheers ross creek i did my city and guilds in plumbing and the gas and heating have just followed as its the next step up over here in england . i just redid my training for the next 5 years after which i will have to resit the exam ,which is rubbish by the way and costs me around £1200 sterling .whats a rough hourly rate for a plumber or gas fitter working for a good firm does anyone know? many thanks in advance

Comment

I'm making over $38 an hour + full benefits (the whole package is worth about $50/hr) and I know the plumbers/gas fitters/HVAC guys are making more than I am.
              Are you interested in residental or industrial? Also, what area of Canada? It's a big place.

Comment

thanks Ross Creek i have no idea whatsoever i have heard vancover island is nice. i am just trying to find information at present .i might do a house swap with someone over there to see if my family likes it first.

Comment

Vancouver Island is beautiful.
                  I work in the automotive industry across from Detroit, Michigan.
                  No jobs here, the area is in recession. I think you would be a steamfitter designation in the auto industry. There are thousands of skilled trades in this area that moved over from Great Britain over the years.

Don't imagine you would have a hard time finding a job on the Island and it is warmer than the rest of Canada and rains a lot.(make you feel at home) And with the price of real estate in London the Island would seem like a bargain although high priced by Canadian standards.

Comment

Working...
                  X