No announcement yet.

garage under house

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage under house

Are there any issues to worry about with having a garage under the house (i.e. in lowest level of house), in a newer home?

I can think of two: water drainage if the driveway slopes down to the garage, and cold floor in rooms above garage in case of poor insulation on the roof of garage.

Any others?

Re: garage under house

Check with the local town/county office for any code requirements for attached garages. Be specific and ask about living quarters above a garage. The garage must be sealed completely so that any exhaust gasses from the automobiles from permeating into the living quarters.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

The Dry wall (wall coverings) will probly need to fire rated, for how long you will need to check with your local codes.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Aside from code requirements there may be a significant difference in insurance premiums.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Just finishing up a garage that's under our living space.

I ended up putting R-30 in the floor joists, doubling 5/8 fire rated sheetrock & sandwiching this stuff in between the two layers of sheetrock, for it's sound damping qualities.

With the insulation, doubled 5/8 sheetrock & the Green Glue for sound damping, we don't hear squat in the living areas from the garage (even with compressor running) & vice versa.

I also installed an automatic fire sprinkler system in the garage.

Knowing cars sometimes spontaneously combust, even hours after you've parked them, that just didn't sit well with me knowing I was sleeping directly above.

Way overkill as far as code compliance (could've gone with the fire rated sheetrock or the sprinkler system & either would've been satisfactory), but I sure do sleep better at night.

Last thing I did was hang an air scrubber with Charcoal Filter for the CO-2 & install a hard wired ~ battery back up CO-2 / Smoke Detector combo.

End result, Building Inspector was tickled pink with how I did the garage & our Home Owners Insurance has gone down 10% because of the automatic fire sprinkler system.