X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior sheathing

Hi all been absent for a long time . I have relocated and divorced after 26 years....... Question I moved to North Carolina. (selling heading back to Long Island NY)My house is sheathed in 1/8 thats right 1/8th stuff called fiber lam. To me this is a joke any one familiar with this thanks

Re: Exterior sheathing

Easier for you to read this, I have seen the sheathing being used, but me personally, I will never install the product.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=24675
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I hope it's not on the roof too!

Comment

Thank you for your replies and info. It is not on the roof. I could not believe they can build a 2400 and bigger home with this ......stuff. That plus finger jointed 2x4s so cost effective.....

Comment

I can't believe someone would buy that house...

Just had to throw that one in, a little humor goes a long ways......
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thats exactly what I am saying while I try to sell it...... HAHA On a serious note I saw all the newer homes here being built with OSB so I figured mine is from 2000 must be OSB . I found out when I was in the storage area off the 2nd floor ,saw all this cheap thin gray cardboard stapled to the 2x4s. I met a local builde he came over and showed me it was my whole house I am still amazed a house this big (to me its big 2400 sq. ft.) could hold up with FJ 2x4s and that stuff. Well this cabinet maker is a lot wiser now. Hey thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyD View Post
              I met a local builde he came over and showed me it was my whole house I am still amazed a house this big (to me its big 2400 sq. ft.) could hold up with FJ 2x4s and that stuff.
              It will hold up fine, as long as it's framed correctly, AND NO WATER gets to that sheathing!!

Comment

Hi just curious , for all you pro framers out there. If money were not an issue and you were building a home for your family what sheathing would you use. (4x8 sheet) My old home on Long Island was 3/4 solid boards not sure of the species thanks just trying to learn!

Comment

1/2 inch ply on the walls 5/8 ply on the roof and 1 inch t&g on the floors, i would use osb one the walls and roof but never on the floor of my own home.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Plywood or OSB is fine, boards are the best for walls. This gives the house its stability. The installation of my siding (cement or steel), I want attached to the studs not just into the sheathing. Spray foam (Icynene) for Insulation. 2"x10" or 12" Exterior walls. Roof would be of solid pine boards (not OSB and thats for sure) and steel. Plaster for a finished interior wall.

Ok, I'm getting away from your real question here. As I said Plywood or OSB and since the have specific depth dimension for windows, 1/2" is sufficient. But with money as no option, I would have 3/4" installed and have the window and door jambs extended out that 1/4".

There are only a few materials that I dislike for one reason or another, and thus the #1 problem/issue I have, is the use of OSB on the roof. As far as I'm concern, bad, very bad product for the roof. Though its approved for this, and I install it all the time (money issue with home owners) its not even close for me recommend it on a roof. For walls its alright, but boards are #1, plywood is #2 and OSB is #3.

I could go on and on here, but I better stop. There is a huge difference form building a house and building a house the best way. Custom made homes will last longer.....

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                      1/2 inch ply on the walls 5/8 ply on the roof and 1 inch t&g on the floors, i would use osb one the walls and roof but never on the floor of my own home.
                      Ah OSC, they do make a 1 1/8" T&G OSB subflooring sheathing, and this does work fine, I have installed numerous amounts of sheathing for quite sometime now. I'm no to keen for this in the bathrooms, but everywhere else, it does a decent job. Wouldn't really be my first choice, but it works....

Comment

Hi and thanks again . I have noticed here in N.C. all of the new homes here are built with OSB on the walls and roof. Not sure of the thickness but they do have 2x4 rafters and as they did on my house build them up where they meet the walls. I dont understand why they do that. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X