X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Recomendations on a Garage Door Opener

My old craftsman garage door opener just died. Its been on its last legs for the last 3 years and its finally time to get something that works.

I have a 2 car wide wooden door. Any recommendations on a new opener?

Thanks everyone,

Josh

Re: Need Recomendations on a Garage Door Opener

Chamberlain Whisper Drive

Can't go wrong here. 1/2 or 3/4 which ever your door calls for. Nice a quiet, and well made...
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

We've got Overhead Door garage door openers. They're quiet, powerful, and we've not had a single problem with them. A buddy of mine that does garage doors as a full-time business says they're probably one of the best of the consumer openers. They can be found at www.odcdc.com where you can select from a bunch of different models. They also have repair services listed there, but we've never had to use that! The model we have is the Legacy, it looks like. I'm guessing it was probably a cheaper model for the builder to install, and still have a quality item. This is my opinion from my observations. And pretty much all I know about garage door openers.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

josh, with the opener disconnected, does that wooden door open easy? are the springs adjusted good and the door is easy to open and easy to close?

might be time for a new roll up door?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Geez, I hate to say this, but Rick was right. (Just kidding Rick) The door should be adjusted so that the springs lift the door--NOT the operator. All the operator does is start it. I have had Chamberlin for 15 years and the only time they didn't work was when the power was off. Liftmaster is a Chamberlin with a different color cover. Underneath, they are the same.
          Jim

Comment

the door isnt all that bad to lift. pretty smooth so the springs do a good job. A whole new door would be nice but not a project I want to take on when its 15 degrees out.

I am guessing it will take the 3/4 horse model.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yet another unexpected project for the weekend. Thats home ownership for ya.

Thanks again,

Josh

Comment

one small suggestion....get a screw drive instead of belt or chain.. i found screw drives to be considrably quieter than the other two. just my$.02.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Went with the Chamberlain 3/4 hp. Was rough installing it in 18 degree weather but was able to get er up and running. Its crazy how much quieter it is than my old craftsman chain driven opener. It was the most expensive opener at depot but I'm happy with the quality of the product. Really like the nice backlit lcd display with the time and temerature. Pry not all the practicle but cool. It gets the door up and down and lights the room well... all im asking for.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW> so garager how long does it take you to install one of those. I logged about 4 hrs Its tough having to search for the right tools in between each step

Thanks again,

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Went with the Chamberlain 3/4 hp. Was rough installing it in 18 degree weather but was able to get er up and running. Its crazy how much quieter it is than my old craftsman chain driven opener. It was the most expensive opener at depot but I'm happy with the quality of the product. Really like the nice backlit lcd display with the time and temerature. Pry not all the practicle but cool. It gets the door up and down and lights the room well... all im asking for.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW> so garager how long does it take you to install one of those. I logged about 4 hrs Its tough having to search for the right tools in between each step

Thanks again,

Josh
                  Congrats, you shouldn't have to buy another one, great choice.

Time wise for installation, less then half your time on a bad day. Josh, you don't install these, so for doing it in 4 hrs, not to shabby...
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                    Congrats, you shouldn't have to buy another one, great choice.

Time wise for installation, less then half your time on a bad day. Josh, you don't install these, so for doing it in 4 hrs, not to shabby...
                    Yes, It's better to buy another one.

Once, I also had such kind of problem with my craftsman garage door and I went to garage doors Harrogate and buy another garage door.
                    Alex Ruseell
                    Leeds, UK
                    Garage Doors York

Comment

I believe this guy has came on this forum to try and make gharexpert a name and use this forum as a tool to make money for his forum.

There are a few posts threw out on the forum that people have come in and have answered with advice to go to other sites and if you look at their tags they are only here to get you to their sites.

Just my opinion.

shup

Comment

Stick with Craftsman. I've always had good luck with them for reliability, not to mention my garage door is so quiet I can open it without waking my kids in the bedroom directly above the garage.
                        metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

Originally posted by dantheman9727 View Post
                          Stick with Craftsman. I've always had good luck with them for reliability, not to mention my garage door is so quiet I can open it without waking my kids in the bedroom directly above the garage.
                          The current crop of Craftsman openers are made by Chamberlain I believe, at least the model I looked at 3 years ago when I replaced an old Stanley was. I still ended up with the Chamberlain model, has some features that the Craftsman didn't and the price was $10 less.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X