When Meeting a Contractor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When Meeting a Contractor

Please put your dog away or at least make the dog(s) mind. I love dogs but when they jump all over you while looking things over or run off with your tape while writting things down, it is anoying.

oh ya, and please pick up the poop if the work area is outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Concrete View Post
      Please put your dog away or at least make the dog(s) mind. I love dogs but when they jump all over you while looking things over or run off with your tape while writting things down, it is anoying.

"Maam/Sir? I need the dog put outside the house or contained in a room so work can be performed. This is done for insurance reasons. If not then we'll reschedule our appointment for another time." Being authoritative from the go makes the work relationship move a lot smoother if you let them know who's the boss on the safety issues.

I don't care how nice or playful, harmless your dog is; I'm not going to put up with it. Same goes for those baby/toddler gates; I punt those across the room when somebody puts those up in my path of getting work done. Take your kids to disneyland because I'm not here to be a horse show jumping hurdles.
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-07-2008, 12:42 AM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

...and for Pete's Sake...have a bit of decency and have a freshly baked sheet of oatmeal raisin cookies waiting for him when he arrives...I have found that this is sure to make the process go a bit smoother!!!
        (Lookin' through a family photo album with a friend)

"....yeah...so...there's my mom, and next to her is my baby brother Jason...and the guy right there holding Jason...yeah...him...the one with only one hand is my uncle Tony "Tablesaw" Thomas.....guess why we call him "Tablesaw"....

Comment

Good list Garager.
          Listen intently to the contractor. What he says and how he says it is often a clue to how he approaches his work. If he looks at things and keeps saying how hard something is going to be or how long this is going to take it is a sure sign of things to come. If he is full of positive statements and has an up beat look on life, this to will be an indication of how the work will flow. One of the most important things that Garager says in his list is build that relationship. You don't have to be best friends but being treated good and with respect goes a long way to getting a great finished product.

I think that you could add to the list. Do not waste the contractors time asking him advise on all the job jar projects that you wife has lined up for you. Give him the fact, get your price and then if he is awarded the job you can build on the relationship and he will be happy to give you the advise you need.

Comment

I'm glad to see that this list is still moving along, its great that more ideas are being added to it. Maybe in another 6 months, we'll do a finalization and have a terrific list for the Home Owners. Thus it could turn into an a publication list for a magazine. This is not my list, its everyones that contributes. Of course we may need Ridgids ok now, since I did place it in their website. I am pleased the way that it has been looked upon....

Thanks to all of you.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Concrete View Post

oh ya, and please pick up the poop if the work area is outside.
              This is going into my list, I was bitten by two dogs last Friday. I am trying to go over the proposal contract with the HO (Home Owner) and her dogs were barking continuously during the meeting, I asked her twice to do something with the dogs, but noooooo, they are like her children to her. So I stepped outside to get away from the noise, but she followed me and her two dogs. Thats when the dogs went after me, got bit once on the hand and once on the chest and both were bleeding. She did patch me up, well actually she gave me the stuff for me to do it.

I was really pissed over that one, she kept pleading to me about not calling the cops, I didn't because I do like dogs and she is a nice lady. They were up to date on the shots, so that was good. She also signed the contract, which is a high priced contract. Yes, I could have caused this lady and her dogs a great deal of trouble, but I didn't and it had nothing to do about the contract for my decision.

So all you HO's out there, put your damn dogs away, when there is to be a meeting. Because next time, I may not be so generous or another contractor may not be either....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Sounds like a pretty solid list, I would like to add some advice
                When I was working at a paint store we where always advised if asked for recommendations that we give out names we had to give out three names and suggest getting three estimates. Also informing the home owner that we are not allowed to recommend any one for legal purposes. This was mostly to keep the store from being sued for recommending somone. But I also feel this is a good suggestion when getting any work done. This will usually eliminate the low ballers from getting the job once they see that the average price is higher.

Comment

Working...
                X