X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular Homes

If you haven't noticed, they have come a long way, since I first saw them. The designs in these homes can be very appealing now days. They can range from your basic rectangular home w/vaulted ceilings, to a house that can give a Victorian home a run for its money.

The energy efficiency of the homes are considered above standard. Now a lot of homes are being slab built, mainly due to the fact that the aging baby boomers, do not want to climb any stairs. However, the Modular home industry does not build homes that are floorless, until now.

KanBuild's slab on grade Modular Homes, even has a safe room for protection from Tornadoes and Hurricanes.

I cannot give you a percentage of the builds in my area, that are slab built homes, but just from personal knowledge, it is high. If this type of modular home, finds its way into are area, we would stand to lose a lot. I must admit, that these Modular homes are much, much stronger and have better quality of materials, compared to the past.

I walked into a Modular Home today and it just blew me away. Incredible design inside and out. Walking up to this home, I would have bet my last dollar, that this was a custom design home. Of course I had no camera, so no pictures. Because of this home, inspired me to write this about KanBuild, who are building Modular Homes for slab finish.

Modular Homes has never gotten into my way, the building industry has been fairly decent to me for the past 20 yrs, but I must admit, these homes can put us right out of business, if the HO's were to do some research on them. Thats enough, my fingers are hurting . If you care to share your opinion, please do so.

Heres a link to KanBuild, if you care to check them out. They are just one of many, that are changing away from the old Modular Homes looks... Mark

http://www.kanbuild.com/

I am not affiliated or know of anyone who works for this business, this is not a spam, just a link to show you, things have changed. I predict that Modular Homes will become a huge industry and they will be constructing in a Green Building way.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Modular Homes

we have a lot of them out here and they even build them here to

the place the build them is big and just think it does not get wet as they build it
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
      we have a lot of them out here and they even build them here to

the place the build them is big and just think it does not get wet as they build it
      Makes me wonder, if I should go and get a million dollar loan and start one up, seriously. Construction is slowing down around here, but I do see those Modular Homes coming and going on the roads. Theres an empty lot somewhere and its about to be filled up....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I agree with you! I love the look, quality and price of the new modular homes. The problem, for me, would be the resale.

There's a two story modular house around the corner from my house. It's been on the market twice since I've lived in my home, and both times it sat for months and months. The first time (around 2002), the realtor ended up buying it and renting it out. The second time (about 2005) that same realtor ended up taking it off the market and renting it again. I haven't seen it listed since.

Once the stigma dies, these homes will probably be more mainstream, but I don't see that happening for a long time.

Comment

There are a couple companies building the factorys right now in Mississippi.

I have seen a couple and its no different than stick construction just built somewhere else in sections. Really speeds things up not having to deal with weather delays and such.

regards,

Comment

Garager: A friend of mine bought a modular home. I agree with you, they are getting to be very nice. The one problem I see is that the people who sell them leave too much to the buyer. My friend had to make arrangements for the excavation, foundation, all electrical and mechanical, basement stairway and a few more odds and ends. I think the opportunity is in an agreement with manufacturers to take all those responsibilities so they can sell turnkey. Just my observations and two cents worth.

Comment

Hey garager and other members,

Thanks for the complements! KanBuild prides itself in building a quality home.

If you like the homes you should tour the plant. The process is truly impressive for anyone in the business or interested in building a home. There are some construction videos on the website, www.kanbuild.com or if you're ever in Kansas feel free to set up a tour with us, 800-343-2783.

Your comment about having to compete with modular was very interesting as well. We actually prefer to recruit stick builders such as yourself to sell our product. That's how we distribute our homes. We sell it wholesale to the builder who has already sold it retail to the homeowner. The great thing for the builder is that he can nearly double the number of homes he sells in a year because of the efficiency of modular.

By finding quality builders we can get the houses built turnkey like pipestone suggested.

One final note, KanBuild also builds commercial and multi-family buildings in addition to residential.

Thanks again,
              KanBuild

Comment

I will agree modular homes have come a long way vs, a cheap trailer with out wheels,

but I was impressed with a semi prebuilt most likely a for runner of modular construction years ago, that the military used, I lived on a former radar base back in the late 70's and the homes that were on that station to my understanding had been built at factory. walls and major panles and trucked in and sat up on the foundations that had been built, all the houses were the same but nice and efficient, there were two diffrnet sizes of homes, one size in the inlisted section and a larger unit for offices section, they had been built in the mid to late 1950's

the home we lived in has been moved off the site, but there are three that remain at the old station, when the prictures were taken, it was a beautiful location, the color pictures were taken in 2007,
                Attached Files
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD,

The type of construction you are talking about is called "panelized". Panelized homes are a close cousin to modular but not quite the same. There origins are a little different also. While both offer the advantages of bulk material buying and some of the factory efficiencies that is where the similarities stop. The advantage to panelized homes is they are less work for a builder and can even make it to where a skilled do-it yourselfer can build a home.

Modular’s still maintain that "controlled environment" advantage in addition to a much higher level of completion.

Comment

big in australia

and on minesites

Comment

bazza1@hotmail.com

email me send links to all modular home in australia

Comment

Ive been putting together mods on and off for the past year. They are two story, two box duplexes. Extremely simple homes. The developer designed them to be the style of new orleans shot gun houses. We started off getting our homes from Modular 1 out of TN, but switched to Franklin homes out of russelville Al for the past 14 boxes. The quality is amazing on these compared to the ones from previous manufacturer. They are rental grade properties so they are somewhat limited on what the developer wants to put into them, but its over all great construction. Getting someone who knows what they are doing with the set is the big deal.

Last edited by futuresweets10; 07-21-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X